1. Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi Folks. I've been running an A6 BiTdi for nearly three years and 25K miles and it's been perfect in every way. Having just retired a Passat 4Motion that we did 224K miles in (actually gave it to my daughter) we replaced it with an A7 3l TDI Quattro. Also an awesome car but you do notice the 50 horses missing sometimes...

The A6 has a ZF 8 speed and the A7 a 7 speed DSG box, but both cars use Audi's crown centre differential - first seen on the RS5 in 2010. We've only had the 7 for 2 weeks but right from the start I felt that on slow tight turns the tyres seem to grind much like an off road 4x4 with the centre diff locked driving on tarmac. I've got warranty left on the 7 but before I start moaning at Audi, is there a test I can do to prove the centre diff is operating properly? I have a 1989 SIerra 4x4 and on that its a case of lifting one front wheel and put a torque wrench on the hub nut and seeing how much torque it takes to turn it at 1 rpm. Pretty easy. I'll guess that to test the audi will be harder as it has a much wider torque bias. A good start will be to prove it isn't seized solid though.

The only other difference between the two cars is the 7 has 275/30/21 Dunlops where the 6 has 255/35/20 Pirelli tyres.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Interesting question, I will have a look at the book of words on Monday to see if there is a test.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks crasher.

The tears have more tread left than the front but I’ve not yet checked the max difference allowed between front and rear which Elsa says is 2mm max. I’m sure my 6 has run with greater than this though without adverse effects. Theoretically more wear on the front should help as the front turns more than the rear on tight turns. It could even be tyre compound but I’d like to know for sure whilst there is warranty remaining. You have to go to them with data though not just a gut feeling.

Cheers

Dave

0 0 0

4. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If you have ELSA I can’t go further than that without using ODIS with Guided Fault Finding when plugged into the car.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    No worries. I thought you may have had some other documentation. Elsa doesn’t say anything about testing it only changing it. Maybe others with the same car can comment with its behaviour.

There was a time the Passat did it too, but it kinda went away and I never got to the bottom of it but that has a different diff. I suppose I can probably lift one wheel with the box in neutral and as long as that one wheel turns, the diff can’t be locked. Does that make sense to you?

Dave

0 0 0

6. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I would start by changing the oil, there are a number of TPI’s where the oil breaks down and causes noises which will be friction induced and the Crown diff works on... friction.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Crown differential test 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    According to the service history she had a gearbox oil change less than 20k miles ago so doubt it’s that.
    I could go through the pain of swapping wheels from the6 to the seven to see ifthat helps but where do you stop...

Doesn’t sound right though.

D

0 0 0