Notices

User Tag List

Thread: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    Does it restart immediately everytime? Does it take a long or short crank?
    Yes restarts everytime, short crank.

0 0 0

2. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    A week ago when we took the fat inlet pipe feeding the ASV and EGR valve it runs fine as is able to breathe so definitely seems to be starved of oxygen. I've read elsewhere that the ASV has the ability to starve the engine maybe someone can confirm: "The aim of the Anti-Shudder Valve is to starve the engine of air when the ignition switch is shut off, and to prevent a oil run-away. When the air volume gets filled with an oil mist, because of the design of the engine, it has run-away due to a turbo bearing failing to hold the oil in the galleries where the bearing is."

0 0 0

3. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vagless View Post
    A week ago when we took the fat inlet pipe feeding the ASV and EGR valve it runs fine as is able to breathe so definitely seems to be starved of oxygen. I've read elsewhere that the ASV has the ability to starve the engine maybe someone can confirm: "The aim of the Anti-Shudder Valve is to starve the engine of air when the ignition switch is shut off, and to prevent a oil run-away. When the air volume gets filled with an oil mist, because of the design of the engine, it has run-away due to a turbo bearing failing to hold the oil in the galleries where the bearing is."
    This is why I thought that maybe the original anti shudder valve is either not happy with the new aftermarket EGR valve fitment as they are fitted in tandem and/or there is an electrical fault making the ASV valve close shortly after starting the car? But I'm a bit out of depth with all this so thanks for your help

0 0 0

4. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Just had a look online to find the ASV to show you an image of what i mean... looks like it's also called inlet manifold flap or actuator? Come to think of it the remap technician mentioned the inlet manifold flap being a fault code but I thought it was a historic code from before when I fixed the P2015 fault with the motor repair bracket: For Audi VW 2.0TDI Inlet Manifold P2015 Error Flap Actuator Motor Repair Bracket | eBay

The ASV i refer to is something like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JRsAA...RF0/s-l500.jpg

0 0 0

5. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks, yes I agree doesn't seem to be immobiliser related. Smoke seems to come from backend of the engine bay around the top of the DPF housing where the o2 sensor is fitted, which is why I originally thought it may be a clogged DFP. At the front of the engine what I'm assuming is the anti shudder valve (fitted directly below EGR valve) makes a whining electronic sound when ignition is turned on and I heard a short hiss earlier from the same area after stalling.
    If you think the whining noise is inductive of a fault then obviously it needs investigating further. Be careful these valves are powerful so no fingers inside.

Also check if egr is stuck open.

I'm out of ideas, let us know how you get on

0 1 0

6. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Cheap aftermarket EGR (valve only not cooler) off ebay. No fault codes currently. EGR has been deleted in software remap. ASV = anti shudder valve.
    none emissions compliant so as far as I am concerned,
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    none emissions compliant so as far as I am concerned,

It's a troubleshooting measure, just trying to rule out the EGR as a potential culprit for the problems atm as I've been going round in circles with this. Obviously if the problem remains after deleting EGR then I know it could be something else and can restore original factory EGR hardware/software once I get to the root problem

0 0 0

8. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    It's a troubleshooting measure, just trying to rule out the EGR as a potential culprit for the problems atm as I've been going round in circles with this. Obviously if the problem remains after deleting EGR then I know it could be something else and can restore original factory EGR hardware/software once I get to the root problem
    You mentioned mechanics and fitting something yourself earlier, so who would be doing this troubleshooting as some of the things need actual dismantling cleaning checking and Re installation to eliminate?

0 0 0

9. Re: At wits end with 2009 2.0tdi CR Golf starts then stalls - problem with ASV or? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    The ASV would not be effected by removal of the Inlet pipe. It would shut the engine if the pipe was in place or not. The fact that the engine ran better would indicate it being in good working order.
    So imo swirl flaps are more likely culprits, or gunk in the Inlet manifold in and around the flaps.
    In order to eliminate this the Manifold has to come off, new gasket or appropriate gasket maker suitable for intake manifold will be required on Re assembly.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12