Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram..

1. 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I dropped the sump today on the freebie Passat Estate I got the other day with the "STOP - Oil Pressure" warning. Oil pickup was sludged up, sump cruddy. All cleaned out and put back together. Not refilled with oil yet, so I don't know if it's solved the issue or not.

I want to clean out the breather system, but I can't find any diagram of it. There's clearly some kind of problem as there's oil gunk down the back of the engine (could this be the EGR leak?) and the pipes on the top of the cam cover seem totally oozing with crud and oily goo too.

I guess the breathers need a good clean out or replacement - can someone give me an idea how the system works and is plumbed please?

Also - what's the plastic cap on the underside of the oil filter with the 32mm "nut" like the one on the top where the filter comes out..

thanks!
    Mike

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    What servicing has the engine been subjected to ?

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The breather is the cam cover.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    What servicing has the engine been subjected to ?
    Before July last year, when I did it (car belonged to my best mate and neighbour), I have no idea. I don't think she was overly picky about when and where it was serviced. I changed all oil and filters, pads, discs, fluid. I also replaced the starter when it failed in August, then in September the steering lock thing at the bottom of the column.

It drives spot on, it looks like it's been banger raced - dents on all 4 doors, but it's only done 100k and all works. I'd have told her to scrap it or break it for bits , but she said I could have it if I could fix it. 4 doors off a breaker, and a good valet, it'll be a decent motor again, if I can sort the oil.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If it's the same as the 1.9AWX , there's just one breather pipe that goes from cam cover to turbo inlet air pipe. I think the hex head thing on the underside of the oil filter housing is part of the oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I clean it out?

Changing the oil, filter and cleaning out the sump and oil strainer made no difference. Still get the "STOP - oil pressure" warning when it goes above 2krpm when the switch activates (!) I shall replace the switch tomorrow as they're not dear from GSF, but if that fails.. I think it'll be going on eBay instantly as my wife is going through treatment for the big C, and I've got better things to do than worry about a shonky old Passat..

thanks all for your help.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The crankcase breather will not cause an oil pressure problem. Before you do anything you need to borrow an oil pressure tester (M10x1 attachment) and check the actual pressure you are seeing. If this is less than 3 Bar at 2000 rpm with a hot engine, there is no point going any further with your hands being so full.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.9BXE Crankcase breather - where? Is there a diagram.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ordered an oil pressure tester a couple of days ago, as I was after one anyway. For the £7 it cost today, I got a new pressure sensor from GSF and the issue is now resolved. I'll remove and clean the EGR valve tomorrow and clean out the cam cover and breather then all the filthy, manky jobs are done for a while.

thanks for your help

1 1 0