Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In expanding my repertoire of anti electric car facts, the “range” and its attendant anxiety is always my first weapon but it has occurred to me that I have been missing an angle and the manufacturers of such electric nightmares are either hiding it or haven’t thought of it as well. Saying a car like the e-tron has a range of 230 miles is one thing but what about operating “time”? How often do you do a 200 mile journey that is start to stop without interruption? When sitting in traffic, an electric car is still powered up and when the heating or ac and the headlights are on never mind the powerful media system etc etc it is eating into your “range” at quite a pace so how long can you crawl along in stop start traffic or more worryingly, how long have you got on a blocked snow bound motorway with the heating, lights, media system, non traction battery charging, etc powered up? Interestingly I noticed the dash of the e-RON gives an operating time at apparent full charge of two and a half hours, that means in the dark in winter I would not be able to drive from Nottingham to Lancaster to see the family without stopping or really pushing my luck as it is usually 3 and a half hours, in my 17 year old ULEZ compliant Octavia I can do the round trip and two weeks normal driving on one tank of petrol.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Electric car “range” 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I agree. Cold weather reduces battery performance for driving, and a increases average demand for lights and heating (more hours of darkness when it is cold). Heating will probably be the bigger drain as LED lamps will be a relatively light load. Things like a big LCD panel in cabin won't help though...

I see PHEV as the most logical option for crowd contribution to the goals. Lots of families need 20-30 miles a day tops for school runs, shopping, errands, visit local family, etc. That can be all electric with overnight charges. When going further afield fossil fuel kicks in for relatively efficient journey, and everyone goes start to end rather than blocking motorway exits while waiting an hour or more (be interesting for someone to do the queuing theory) to recharge car during Christmas / Bank Hol exodus. I see a new "park on my drive" opportunity for those on A303 to install a 32A charger and offer dinner to the strandees...

0 0 0

3. Re: Electric car “range” 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had just about come to terms with the ban on non hybrid sales from 2040 but to then have the bloke I liked and voted for stick a knife in our backs not only by bringing it forwards but also banning liquid fuel cars completely including Hybrids, seriously, if he had said that before the election I would have broken my lifelong Tory voting principle, I don’t think even the Green Party would have been that stupid. By saying even plug in Hybrids will be banned just says that you think they don’t work and so why bother spending more buying one for environmental reasons now? It sends out a bad message. I wish I had the time to start a petition over it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Electric car “range” 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Maybe this one was ahead of the right time: Keep grants for plug-in hybrid & electric cars at their current levels or above - Petitions. Only 37 supporters??! Presumably would do better now?

1 1 0