1. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Diito...I had problems bleeding brakes after new discs/pads all round on my mark iv gti as had to remove rear caliper n rewind it on bench. Basic 2 man bleeding(call me old fashioned but am over 40 n thats how i learnt to bleed em) just did not work and left a victoria(queen of sponges) pedal!... used an easibleed pressure kit with tyre set at 20psi and bleed in this sequence: master cylinder lower(nearest bulkhead.. 8mm ring spanner), master cyl highest, O/S/R (11mm ring), N/S/R, O/S/F and N/S/F n pedal restored to perfection! Am thinking this a Mark 20 system? but f**k knons how you tell the difference between that and a Mark 60.....be interestin to know??........ hope this helps

0 0 0

2. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I bled all round then bled the master cyl and the pedal was better but still not perfect. What confuses me is that if i hold the pedal hard on it slowly goes goes down to the floor it doesnt hold it at the top. Is this normal?

1 0 0

3. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    If the pedal slowly moves to the floor(when all the bleed nipples are shut) and the engine not running? suggests that there is a leak or air in the system. All hydraulic systems work on the principle that the fluid used is incompressible but AIR is so if the pedal is depresses and then it slowly moves the floor there must be air or a leak.
    A leak would be pretty easy to spot methinks as there would be brake fluid all over your drive but check around any of the bleed nipples you have opened/shut recently to be on safe side.
    Are you using an easibleed(or similar) kit?or 2 man pedal bleeding? I never had any joy at all with 2man bleeding and had to bleed in the sequence described previouslywith easibleed kit(Master Cyl lower,master cyl higher,rear off side,rear nearside,front off side then front nearside).
    Lastly make sure if you using an easibleed kit that there is no air getting in especially around the top of the easibleed resevoir( pipes connect to the top using a crude wedge type arrangment and have to pulled tight upwards to ensure a good fit)
    Good luck

0 0 0

4. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbob123 View Post
    Hi
    If the pedal slowly moves to the floor(when all the bleed nipples are shut) and the engine not running? suggests that there is a leak or air in the system. All hydraulic systems work on the principle that the fluid used is incompressible but AIR is so if the pedal is depresses and then it slowly moves the floor there must be air or a leak.
    A leak would be pretty easy to spot methinks as there would be brake fluid all over your drive but check around any of the bleed nipples you have opened/shut recently to be on safe side.
    Are you using an easibleed(or similar) kit?or 2 man pedal bleeding? I never had any joy at all with 2man bleeding and had to bleed in the sequence described previouslywith easibleed kit(Master Cyl lower,master cyl higher,rear off side,rear nearside,front off side then front nearside).
    Lastly make sure if you using an easibleed kit that there is no air getting in especially around the top of the easibleed resevoir( pipes connect to the top using a crude wedge type arrangment and have to pulled tight upwards to ensure a good fit)
    Good luck
    I have noticed on my easy bleed kit that it is so easy to cross thread the bottle top. It can be a right pain to get it to go on propperly. I have bled the brakes several times now in differnt orders to try to rectify the problem. I think i will have to up the pressure on my spare tyre and try to flush the system out more. When i do i get a slow trickle out of the end of the pipe. I dont know wheather to go for new flexy pipes. I am running out of ideas lol if you pump them they are better. Some people say it can take 50 bleeds till you get a solid pedal again. Others say that my master cylider is probably leaking a little bit. I think i should probably get the system pressure tested. grrr bloody cars!

1 0 0

5. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Again
    Blimey sounds like you had more problems than me doing this(supposedly simple)bloody job!
    Remember tho if the pedal was all good before you started changing pads/discs it is unlikely to be master cyl seals but air in system..........thats what kept me sane n trying on my car(3x bleeding)! Up tyre pressure to 25PSI and try again. I did read in haynes manual that if loadsa air in system bleed master cyl lower,master cyl higher,then back axle(both sides simultaneously),font axle(both) then all round car as previous. Didnt do this myself as need a mate to help n thought it sounded like gallons of brake fluid! Good luck let me know if you get sorted

0 0 0

6. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbob123 View Post
    Hi Again
    Blimey sounds like you had more problems than me doing this(supposedly simple)bloody job!
    Remember tho if the pedal was all good before you started changing pads/discs it is unlikely to be master cyl seals but air in system..........thats what kept me sane n trying on my car(3x bleeding)! Up tyre pressure to 25PSI and try again. I did read in haynes manual that if loadsa air in system bleed master cyl lower,master cyl higher,then back axle(both sides simultaneously),font axle(both) then all round car as previous. Didnt do this myself as need a mate to help n thought it sounded like gallons of brake fluid! Good luck let me know if you get sorted
    Well i upped the pressure and bled again. I have a good pedal. Not a super sharp pedal but a nice progessessive one. I could spend £££ and more time but as long as i stop i dont care anymore!. Obviously if they go super spongey i will look into them again but for now i am going to say there fixed... Thanks for everyones help.

0 0 0

7. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had similar problem but I changed my rear axle bushes and the break fluid went too low.
    Tried to bleed the system with Gunson easy bleed...nothing....conevtional pedal pumping ...still nothing
    Took a risk and took it to a garage as I needed new tyres and tracking . Thought the garage has professionals there so they can have. A look at my breaks....yeah right how wrong was I . They did the pedal pumping method and still spongy pedal. They said they have no clue why is this and then suggested to change the master cylinder .....£250 they wanted the #%!+& .
    Then I found on the forum that the master cylinder needs bleeding....suggested this to the garage and they couldn't be bothered ...idiots
    I went home ....called daddy ....flushed master cylinder and guess what?
    I HAD BREAKS AGAIN Without paying £250 to lazy garage monkeys

0 1 0

8. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I made up a pressure bleeding gadget some years ago, which I recently used on the Audi with no problem at all. I bled off approximately 250cc from each wheel cylinder in the recommended sequence (RR, RL, FR,Fl).

The gadget consists of a small pump-up plant sprayer, available from hardware or garden shops, fitted with a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge in the lid, and a pvc tube from the outlet to a master cylinder cap fitted with a suitable connector. Another piece of pvc tube is used from the bleed nipples to a jar. The jar has a lid with a hole for the tube (not shown), so it doesn't spill when it inevitably falls over.

I originally used it with a litre of new brake fluid in the container, but this resulted in its being a bit messy to disconnect, so I now fill the master cylinder reservoir to the top before connecting the bleeding gear, and just use the container as a pressure reservoir. When the fluid drops too low I depressurise using the Schrader valve and refill as necessary. The cap needs only about 1 turn to remove/replace, so not much time is wasted doing this.

Brake bleeder.jpg
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwgolf4gttdi View Post
    I HAD BREAKS AGAIN Without paying £250 to lazy garage monkeys
    it's BRAKES and we aren't all lazy or Monkeys either.....!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Bleeding brake system! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    it's BRAKES and we aren't all lazy or Monkeys either.....!

I'm sure you're not, but there should be some way of telling what sort of people garages employ.

I have done all my own service work for many years, but have sometimes been seen off by totally incompetent work in Main Dealer garages in the UK and elsewhere when I was forced to use them by circumstances.

Do they have details of their staffs' qualifications or experience posted up in UK garages?
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast