Notices

User Tag List

Thread: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading.

1. ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there!

Hoping for some guidance...

Trying to fit a Kenwood Stereo into my 59 plate Crafter.

It had an ISO fitted head unit before, but I'm struggling...

The permanant live is fine - all wired in and connected.

The switched live is odd. Then the ignition is OFF, I get 12volts. When I turn the ignition ON I get 4.6v.

Any idea what is happening?

Many thanks,

Matthew

0 0 0

2. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds like it may be a data bus rather than voltage line. What was there before? did it have a sticker with pin outs on it? Original loom (no adapters, etc)?

0 0 0

3. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That could make sense.

The previous stereo was permantly live and had to be turned off (or have the face plate removed) when you left the vehicle. There where no labels on the cables on the vehicle side.

Any thoughts how I could use it to provide a switched live?

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

0 0 0

4. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I don't know enough about what was there before. If you look at this diagram of possible Sprinter wiring: Volkswagen RCD 2001 Crafter (2006-2014) Head Unit pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com and the info on ISO radio wiring Connectors for car audio - Wikipedia you can see that 12V (Permanent) & 0V are matched, but as suggested above CAN- is where you might expect 12V (Switched) - and plenty of other changes too.

Personally I'd get a terminal-extractor to take the car side plug apart and fit the connectors back in as I wanted, with labels on wires so someone could put it back to what it was. Pick up switched 12V from cigarette socket (if switched ). It might have an illumination source as well if the outer edge glows in the dark.

Alternatively and if there is space behind radio you could get a "VW/Merc ISO" to "proper ISO" adapter loom to fit, or make one to suit with bits from Halfords / eBay. I think just the black bit of this (with possible re-positioning of wires) would get you started along with taps into switched 12V and illumination: https://www.halfords.com/technology/...aptor-ct20uv01
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 09-02-2020 at 11:08 AM.

0 0 0

5. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I found a Crafter wiring diagram and the pins on that RCD 2001 diagram match it. Here's what I think you need to do:

Position Crafter Function Existing Wire New Wire ISO Function
    1 SCV - speed-dependent volume control
    2 Self-diagnosis, K-wire in models before 2008, later N/A Remove, isolate (if present) Mute from Cell-Phone
    3 Telephone mute, mute switch for telephone operation Move to 2 (if present) the reversing light switch
    4 Positive voltage supply, terminal 30 Leave Memory Power (12V direct from Battery)
    5 Supply / signal to aerial amplifier circuit and aux speaker amplifier Leave Power for Electric Antenna
    6 CAN bus, high Remove, isolate From cigarette lighter illumination Dial-light illumination (car side light circuit)
    7 CAN bus, low Remove, isolate From cigarette lighter power 12V Main Power (Switched via Ignition key)
    8 Negative voltage supply, terminal 31 Leave Ground (Chassis)

0 0 0

6. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone.

I'm still on the hunt for a switched live...

Options so far....

1) From the Cigarette lighter - looks a bit complicated to remove to get to the connections

2) From the fuse board in the passenger footwell - but which fuse circuit to piggy back on?

4) From the UP Fitter connections in the front seat..... But I don't know what they look like and can't seem to find them!

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

0 0 0

7. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Take it from the cigarette lighter connection on the fuse rail then. There may be an empty slot on the rail that you can run a new wire from if you want to fuse it lower or avoid cutting existing wires.

0 0 0

8. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks - sounds like a much simpler idea.

Where would I find the fuse rail? Do you have photo?

I appreciate your assistance and patience!

0 0 0

9. Re: ** CRAFTER ** Replacing Stereo - odd voltage reading. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Fuse 13 may be the cigarette lighter if I read the diagram correctly. Is it 15A? What I meant by "the rail" is that if you take the fuse holder array out that fuse (whichever is the right on for the lighter) ans others that are fed by the ignition being on will all have a common side, and the fuse then bridges power into the individual circuit. There may be an empty slot nearby that you can use by putting the "circuit" side terminal and a fuse in.

EDIT: Or maybe fuse 25 - a 30A one for the central power socket.

Generally, any one that is switched by the ignition

0 0 0