Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and a scan revealed P3102 and P3101, intake flap motor issues. I have checked the disconnected loom plug with a meter and, with the ignition on, there are various voltages (circa 11.5 volts) across the pins that suggest that the fuse and loom are not at fault. I disassembled the faulty IMF and found the classic "teeth broken" so went ahead and bought a new valve.

With the old valve removed and the intake hose safely out of the way, I decided, before I actually fitted the new one, to connect the plug to the new valve body. The engine was started whilst I observed the action of the butterfly valve. It did not respond at all to either the starting or stopping of the engine. This may be because the disconnected inlet hose may have caused an irregularity from the ecu but I wonder whether the lack of any action is normal ? Am I right to suspect a fault in the new valve ?

Before I consider returning the IMF, is there an electrical test I can try on the four pins of theIMF independent of the car ? Maybe the motor can be powered from a pair of them? Or is it more complicated than that with a couple of the other pins expecting a status report before allowing the motor to operate? Any information about how I can determine whether the new valve is faulty might save me from embarrassing myself with a false claim against the supplier. Thanks, James.