Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Another front end clunk question.

1. Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all,

I'm posting on behalf of my son. I recently picked up a 1.6 auto (dated 2000) for my son as his first car. The car had not been used much at all for the past six years or so (purchased from an old school friend of mine, his dad rarely used the car any more). 64k on the clock and in very good condition given it's age.

It has front end clunk. I've done a lot of searching about this, and it seems there can be a number of issues. The most common I understand is the anti-roll bar inner bushings, we've replaced them and it's slightly better.

What would be the next thing to check? I've read that the drop links can also be an issue, as well as the suspension top mount/bearing and the lower wishbone bushings.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tony.

0 0 0

2. Re: Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Was the surface the inner anti roll bar bushes run on corroded?

[/url]
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, no corrosion at all. It's all in pretty good condition.

0 0 0

4. Re: Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The drop links used on this in the steel or plastic versions can rattle, especially at the wishbone pickup but not as much as the ball jointed what I call "up links" used on the V6 models and other PQ34 platform cars such as the Octavia VRS and the wear should be obvious. It may still have the original steel drop links, most people replace these with the plastic ones, one point on both the none ball joint types is they can snap which is quite obvious. If the rattle is over lightly broken pavé then it may be a track rod end or even the coupling ball joint at the other end to the rack, this is a very common PQ35 platform wear point. Ball joints and top mounts tend to be quite reliable but ball joints can rattle and top mounts clunk, all pretty easy to diagnose by push/pull on the wheel hands either side, what we call the "wiggle test"
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The drop links used on this in the steel or plastic versions can rattle, especially at the wishbone pickup but not as much as the ball jointed what I call "up links" used on the V6 models and other PQ34 platform cars such as the Octavia VRS and the wear should be obvious. It may still have the original steel drop links, most people replace these with the plastic ones, one point on both the none ball joint types is they can snap which is quite obvious. If the rattle is over lightly broken pavé then it may be a track rod end or even the coupling ball joint at the other end to the rack, this is a very common PQ35 platform wear point. Ball joints and top mounts tend to be quite reliable but ball joints can rattle and top mounts clunk, all pretty easy to diagnose by push/pull on the wheel hands either side, what we call the "wiggle test"

The car has the plastic drop links. I'll get the front of the car up again and wiggle the wheels to see what happens.

0 0 0

6. Re: Another front end clunk question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might be worth checking the bushes on the wishbones.

0 0 0