Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs?

1. Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

My driver's side front spring snapped today as I pulled off my driveway (lucky I guess.. could have been on the motorway etc!)

I was thinking... I should probably replace both front springs as they have covered 106k now... then I got to thinking.. how practical would it be to replace all the SE spec springs with S-Line springs...

I had an A6 S-Line before and preferred the suspension on that to my A4 SE which I find wollows a bit (both quattro, both on 19's.. but the A6 had far less body roll.. I appreciate it's a bit wider).

Is it possible to just change the springs or do I really need different shocks too?

Or should I forget OEM and look at an aftermarket setup that will give me a similar S-Line stiffness with a small ride height drop?

Any advice appreciated - please excuse my ignorance 😄
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

2. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The shocks will be long past their best .

Eibach Pro kit springs with Bilstein B4 dampers .

Don't make the mistake of choosing SE dampers but Sport / S line .

0 1 0

3. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice Gaz,

I went for this kit:

Suspension Kit, coil springs / shock absorbers EIBACH EIBACH B12 Pro-Kit E90-15-011-01-22 buy cheap online

On offer at £515 which I thought was pretty good.

Apparently the uprated ARB makes a massive difference but I'll see how I get on with the new springs and shocks first!
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

4. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Just in case anybody looks at this thread in the future, it turns out I ordered the wrong kit for my 2012 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro - "SE" spec.

Apparently I should have gone for the Eibach E90-15-011-01-22 kit instead EIBACH EIBACH B12 Pro-Kit E90-15-011-01-22 Suspension Kit, coil springs / shock absorbers buy cheap online

I'm unsure what the difference is!
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 0 0

5. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    My Eibach kit finally arrived from Germany after some postal shenanigans!

Am I right in saying I need to get all the geometry (caster, camber, to-in etc) reset after the kit is on?

Thanks in advance
    Al
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 0 0

6. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Funnily enough, my front spring (drivers side) broke in identical fashion last night. Pulling off the drive after being stood for a couple of weeks.

My A4 2.0tdi se Avant has standard suspension and the roads around here are too bad to consider something firmer. I have been recommended KYB replacement springs. Does anyone have any experience with KYB on their A4?

As the car has 145k miles on it, I was thinking of doing the front dampers at the same same time. Is this a sensible thing to do or should I just do the broken springs? I have been given a cost of just over £100 for each KYB damper on top of the cost of doing the spring. Does this seem high or as you would expect?

0 0 0

7. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I have just installed vogtland springs... wow! please don't over these amazing springs. actually have a full set for your car as i bought them for an avant and had to reorder.

0 0 0

8. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Do these springs lower the car? I was hoping not to have to make any changes to the car as I need to pay to fix a rust issue on the front wings - as I plan to keep the car another 5 to 6 years I’ve been advised to replace the wings with proper galvanised ones from Audi, rather than after market ones. This is seriously going to up the price of that repair.

0 0 0

9. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mcr View Post
    Do these springs lower the car? I was hoping not to have to make any changes to the car as I need to pay to fix a rust issue on the front wings - as I plan to keep the car another 5 to 6 years I’ve been advised to replace the wings with proper galvanised ones from Audi, rather than after market ones. This is seriously going to up the price of that repair.
    Yes, they lower by 35mm

Ive been very pleased with them but do have to be a little more careful when parking head on to low curbs.

The reduction in body roll is fantastic vs stock however! Damping solid but not too harsh.

Regards
    Al
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 1 0

10. Re: Replace SE spec springs with S-Line springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have factory S Line suspension and 19" wheels on my Avant and hate the ride on country road, lovely Motorways and Dual carriageways

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
    Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2009

0 0 0