1. BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Good day all, anyone else noted a change in mpg with bp ultimate? I’ve used it for years in current and last car, about 2 months ago the mpg on it suddenly dropped about 4mpg, basically the same as their standard fuel, if i put shell v power in i’m back to normal (if not a bit better off) again. Has there been a formulation change ?

0 0 0

2. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiglio View Post
    Good day all, anyone else noted a change in mpg with bp ultimate? I’ve used it for years in current and last car, about 2 months ago the mpg on it suddenly dropped about 4mpg, basically the same as their standard fuel, if i put shell v power in i’m back to normal (if not a bit better off) again. Has there been a formulation change ?
    I have used BP Ultimate in my cars for a number of years and it does improve the MPG on both, but around this time of year I always notice a decrease in MPG... I suspect it is due to "winter diesel" additives being used to stop waxing of the fuel.. once the winter is out the way it seems to rise again for me..

I did use Shell in my petrol engine cars but found that it seemed to make the engine very noisy with a rattle effect when I went to diesel in 2010 so I moved to BP which improved it...

I suppose they could change the formula like most do over time to what they think improves it..
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

3. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, i’d never noticed before, i’ll see what happens in a few months, 70 mile loss on a tankfull caught my eye.

0 0 0

4. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I always use Shell fuels. In all my cars since 1994!
    BP is 2nd choice.
    Any others..... nah.

There is or was something that shell has that the others don’t. My cars always start on the button as a result.

I rarely use the fancier stuff though.

0 0 0

5. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    My mpg has been awful on cold mornings recently (bog standard supermarket fuel) - if engine running while deicing the car and all the heating stuff on I have been showing about 10mpg for the first mile when it would normally be about 30mpg.

Never noticed it being that bad before.

I try the fancy fuel every now and again and it feels a bit quieter but can't see an mpg improvement. Never persevered for long though.
    Now: 2016 C7 2.0TDi BE with Tech Pack, magic parking, ambient lighting
    Previous: 2013 C7 2.0 TDi S Line
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE
    and an ancient 80 in the olden days...

0 0 0

6. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Keep with the good stuff.
    supermarket fuel (and others) is gash... (Especially as there was too much silicone in some of them)

I have told my girls to only use Shell too, which they do.

0 0 0

7. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Really? Always use primarily supermarket fuel, very little choice other than that down in France. Never had a problem and I don't know anyone who has to be honest.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

8. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I never believed the “some diesels are different” until i was told to use murco diesel in ford 1800 diesels back around ‘93, they loved it ran far smoother and picked up quicker. Ran my 1.9 c5 on bp ultimate for a majority of the 130k i did in it, still started first time when it finally had to go with 230k on it, i’ve now done 35k in my 2.0 c7 ultra, it definitely prefers a premium fuel, either bp or shell will give about 4/5 mpg more than standard stuff, until bp changed as per my op. I’ll keep an eye on it as temps improve.
    I’m definitely in the decent fuel and frequent oil changes (around 8kish) camp, served me well over the years, though obviously i’ve no idea if my motoring would have been drastically different had i done otherwise. But i’ll stick with it.

0 0 0

9. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Years ago, I had a 3.0 litre Senator.
    It would start at the first turn of the key, BUT it would turn over for 10 seconds before catching and running.
    Always used Esso then, to get the tokens. (Lol).
    one day, I was heading home and I passed the Sainsbury’s turn in, so went to turn around in the Shell garage next door. The price was the same, so I filled up with that. Started as normal with a long churn, then drove home the 20 miles.
    The next morning, I started the car and it started on the nose. I was a bit surprised. All was good until I filled up again with Esso. The next day, back to churning to turn on. And for the rest of tank, until I put in more Shell. And again it started on the button.

So, I have always used Shell thereafter. Never had ignition, pinking, stalling or any other issues with any of my many vehicles I have gone through.
    Including some with mileages of 272k, 280k, 201k, 190k.

0 0 0

10. Re: BP ultimate diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Up to you guys if you want the price and marketing of premium diesel .

Add 2T and 2-EHN to supermarket derv .

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast