1. Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Has anyone had an issue with a binding rear brake caliper? The r/o/s brake pad wore down to metal on metal. The r/n/s was fine. I had all four discs and pads changed previously at the some time. All seem to be wearing the same except for one. It would also explain the excessive brake dust building up on that wheel. My question is:

Is this likely to be the brake caliper or the electronic parking brake motor? I was quoted over £300 for a new caliper but for less than £10 it seems I can buy a caliper repair kit. Therefore for a bit of my time, I could strip down the caliper, clean and renew seals should solve the problem. Garages these days seem to prefer the bolt off old and bolt on new method.

How do I test the EPB motor?

Any thoughts? Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Mine kinda does but audi have looked at it three times and cant find an issue. I've done 36k and it's just turned the brake pad warning light on.... that'll be its 5th set of rear pads!!!!

Audi did also say that the esp kicks in a lot when they plugged it in so that kinda does explain it.... I do give it a hard time making full use of the quattro pulling out of junctions.

Mine always wears on the side with the indicator on.... I'll change these pads and the difference will be huge between the two sides.

I'm sending mine back to Audi next month as the finance term is up and I really dont want to keep it, plus it is worth a less than the outstanding balance. Bloody brakes had to go just before it goes back didnt they

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    WOW! That's a lot of expense in break pads. I also like to make use of the Quattro and all 272 (or what it actually has) horses! But the amount of brake material from the r/o/s pads is really excessive compared to the three others. Garage did say that it might need a new caliper. Would much rather strip it down and replace the insides though. Have no idea what brand I should go for. I thought maybe TRW as I recognise that brand.

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.hatton View Post
    WOW! That's a lot of expense in break pads. I also like to make use of the Quattro and all 272 (or what it actually has) horses! But the amount of brake material from the r/o/s pads is really excessive compared to the three others. Garage did say that it might need a new caliper. Would much rather strip it down and replace the insides though. Have no idea what brand I should go for. I thought maybe TRW as I recognise that brand.
    Haha actually the pads are about £35 a pair for the rears and I do them myself using the carista obd plug in and app.

Last time I changed them all I put red stuff on the front (only time I've changed them) and I couldnt get red stuff for the back so stuck something like ABD in. My front wheels are barely dirty and the rears are covered in brake dust, but yours sounds like a bigger issue. As far as I am aware, the rear brake system is TRW anyway.

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Can you release the EPB with the Carista? I usually change my brakes myself but on this occasion, the pads wore out without noticing and I needed to use the car so didn't have the time to fix it myself. Had to have two new discs too so cost nearly £300 with labour! Hurt a bit but my local Indi is excellent and got me back on the road the next day. Sometimes it's easier to just pay to get things done. BTW, this is the worst car I have had for brake dust. The garage just put Pagid pads on which I think I would like to move away from.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Yes the carista releases the parking brake. I paid £15 for the obd and just use the app on different phones to get the free trial which allows you to release the parking brake.

Sometimes it does just pay to get you back on the road, but I did all my brakes pads and discs all round for £375 using Brembo discs, red stuff at the front and something like ATE on the rears inc the carista.

Red stuff make hardly any brake dust... the really are good although they dont give great feel through the pedal.

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips @JSRed Much appreciated

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    No worries. Also, try ******* for parts. Their prices are always pretty good and loads of choice, but you do have to pay for postage which on just pads can be a bit steep

0 1 0

9. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.hatton View Post
    Has anyone had an issue with a binding rear brake caliper? The r/o/s brake pad wore down to metal on metal. The r/n/s was fine. I had all four discs and pads changed previously at the some time. All seem to be wearing the same except for one. It would also explain the excessive brake dust building up on that wheel. My question is:

Is this likely to be the brake caliper or the electronic parking brake motor? I was quoted over £300 for a new caliper but for less than £10 it seems I can buy a caliper repair kit. Therefore for a bit of my time, I could strip down the caliper, clean and renew seals should solve the problem. Garages these days seem to prefer the bolt off old and bolt on new method.

How do I test the EPB motor?

Any thoughts? Thanks
    I had the same problem when I did my rear brakes late last year. The side that had the sensor on was fine while the other was down to the metal. Of course, being no sensor on it, it didn't flag anything up on the dash. I did used to get some errors when I used to scan the car. They were something related to the rear brake motors (68096 - Right Parking Brake Motor Voltage Supply, 71424 - Left Parking Brake Motor Voltage Supply).

When I took the brakes apart for replacement, I used a clamp to push them right back in...as far as they would possibly go, not just to the point where I could slide the pads in. Then when I did the VCDS stuff, the motors pushed the pistons out to the right amount. I've never got the error again.

0 0 0

10. Re: Rear Brake Caliper 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Great. Thanks for your reply. Hopefully they will wear more even now. I had them rechecked after a few weeks and the garage said they weren’t binding. I’d never noticed before but recently when I cleaned the car, I realised that all the wheels were quite clean on the inside, behind the tyre, except for the wheel where the brake pads had work out. They wheel was black with brake dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast