1. Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I'm after some help with the trim around the inside of the rear window on a 2009 A3 convertible. The headlining has come detached around the whole window and is hanging down. The headlining has an edge that slots into the trim fixed around the window - however half of the top window trim is missing and there is silicon/rubber adhesive on the headlining in this area which is no longer holding it. It must have been repaired like this before we bought the car. When trying to see how the trim bit attaches to the window I managed to detach the remaining half of the trim and cannot reattach. It appears to have grooves/ridges which maybe clip together? Can anyone explain how these to reattach or repair. Presumably I can get the missing piece of trim direct from Audi? Failing that, does anyone know a suitable company who could do the job in the Sheffield/Nottingham/Derby area.
    I've added some pictures below which may help my description!
    rear view s.jpg

window2.jpg

trim2.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    You cannot buy any parts for the headliner window surround system except for a £30 securing kit but I can see what is in the kit from at home. The car may have suffered a broken rear window and someone has tried to bond in a used one as you cannot buy a new window, yes you have to fit a new top cover and at £2500 plus installation, that can be a bit of a shock but BAS International MAY be able to help.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Crasher. We won't be going for a new top cover! Yes, having had a replacement rear window could be a possibility, I'll have a good look to see if there are any clues... I'd be interested to see what's in that securing kit when you get chance to look. Cheers, Steve

0 0 0

4. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The picture on ETKA of the headliner securing kit 8P7 898 026 A just shows a big pile of rivets, loops screws and washers at £35.51 and the tensioner wire repair set 9P7 898 051 A is again a huge pile of cords , springs rivets and screws at £59.04. If you see part numbers with 8P7 as the initial three digits, it means these are specific to the Ae type 8P cabrio whereas normal A3 8P parts would usually be 8P0, 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3. I have looked through the parts system and the workshop system shows the frame and mentions replacing the clips but there are no clips I can see on the system unless they come in the repair kit but the picture is awful. Do you have one of the 6 clips you could post a picture of?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    A wealth of info - many thanks.
    With the part number I have found pics of the securing kit - not what I'm after. Again, nor is the tension wire repair kit.
    I think I have misled with the word clips - there doesn't appear to be any separate clips as such. The long (470mm) piece of trim shown in the third pic above somehow fits/clips onto the plastic trim around the inner window edge in red on the pic below. Around the window hole the headliner has a stiff edge (green in the pic below) that rotates into the slot in the long plastic trim piece (slot towards the glass side) around the inside of the window (the trim missing in the pic). The second pic shows a close up of the slot on the separate trim piece and the ridges that line up with the indents in the bit highlighted in red. This is the bit of trim I need to reattach somehow, and get hold of a replacement for the missing bit - the same except for the other half of the top edge. The third picture shows the codes on the trim.

window edgeresize.jpg

trim slot s.jpg

trim codes s.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    That is some sort of internal code, not a part number. Give BAS International a call and see if they have any advice.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    To see if I'm following... Pic 3 from set 1 and pics 2+3 from set 2 are the same (broken) piece? Green edge slots into it, and it fastens along the red outlined part?

My guess is that the indented, red outlined black strip in pic 1 of set 2 is a setting adhesive that the broken strip was bonded to, but has been pulled away from by various actions. Would that make sense?

0 0 0

8. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    From BAS International @ http://www.car-hood.co.uk/audi-a3-h155 : "..with all plastic fixings including around the rear window for securing the headliner..."

0 0 0

9. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi. Yes the pics you list are the same piece. I don't think it's broken, rather it's just come detached and I'm not sure how it reattaches. It runs from the right top corner to half way along the top. Then there is a missing piece that runs from half way to the top left corner (which I'm trying to get hold of). These attach at the red outlined bit - I thought maybe an 'interference fit' with the ridges and grooves if I try pushing the two together? But I think you may be right and the red outlined strip is not plastic, but a setting adhesive. The green edge then slots into this strip. Sorry, I haven't got the car handy at the moment to have a good look and take any better pictures, and it's likely to be a couple of weeks before I can now as I will be away. I did manage to call BAS yesterday (and mentioned the exact phrase you posted) but after checking with somebody she told me they don't supply the part.
    I will have another good look and then maybe try breakers yards to see if I can get the extra part, or at least something very similar that would do the job, then try to glue/bond them in place - not sure of a suitable adhesive yet though.
    Thanks for your help.

0 0 0

10. Re: Convertible rear window trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    The >PA6 GF30< indicates glass filled Nylon, which can be tricky to bond in a loaded (eg holding back stretched headlining...) situation. Some suggestions from here maybe: Bonding Nylon | Industrial Adhesives | Polyamide Surface Preparation.

Depending what is behind the red-outlined (assumed) adhesive I'd be trying to get a few mechanical fixers along the length with a flexible adhesive to try and take most of the load.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast