Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all, I'm new to the site. Will be here often as I have plans for the golf but 1st, I've just discovered the panoramic roof leaks! I've checked the drain hoses and unblocked them. However, seems the frame is leaking at the NSR, I will try and upload a video. It's approx 4 inches forward of the NSR drain and drips off the bottom of the frame edge. The sun roof doesn't open either, the driver's side slightly tilts then closes again, the passenger side does nothing as if it's stuck.

Does anybody have any suggestions other than a £3000 replacement! It's a 2010 Mk6 golf sportline estate DSG with 106k miles. I knew the roof didn't work but had no idea it leaked!! I'm so gutted, any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Update . . . I've got the headlong out, if found it leaking between the frame and body. Looks like the whole frame will be coming out, might as well takes look as to why it's not opening while it's out

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds like a real pain. Well done for getting that far.

e great if you can fix the unit as well. If ypu look at the electrical plug on it there'll be a part number. May well also be an equivalent male part to match what is on sunroof. You could then make up an extension cable to let you work on it at ground level.

0 0 0

4. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    My other tip is that if any water has got in see where it has pooled to get things dried out. If feeling a bit damp pull seat belts out each day and make sure no mould is building up.
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 07-02-2020 at 10:32 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've gone for it, the pan roof is out. The first image shows the motor cable has got trapped and damaged. This will be why it only tries to open on one side. So now I'm on the hunt for new cables. The leak seems to be coming through the roof seal, there was a piece of butane tape that looks like it hadn't been trimmed properly from factory and had distorted the seal, as the seal has aged and become hardened, it's not been able to deal that area as well. So looks like I'm going to need a new seal as well. It's a very daunting process

0 0 0

6. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We dread roofs so much we almost say no to every job involving them, the EOS that tried to cut me in two was one of the worst experiences I have ever had in 40 years of being a mechanic. Your best source for spares is the VW main dealer as almost every part is specific to the Mexican produced Golf 6 Variant type AJ5 where there are 14 different repair kits for the system right up to a new unit at £1125.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just ordered a new seal and cables from my local TPS bag spares. £168!

0 0 0

8. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Bit disappointing I'm sure, but seems reasonable as one of those random glitches that dealer's may be best kept away from to get a decent job for a decent price. Looks like you have a nice workshop to make it all a bit easier.

0 0 0

9. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Bit disappointing I'm sure, but seems reasonable as one of those random glitches that dealer's may be best kept away from to get a decent job for a decent price. Looks like you have a nice workshop to make it all a bit easier.
    Yeah, we've just relocated to a much bigger premises. Started out with 4 walls and a concrete floor, now a fully operational workshop with 6 ramps and a class 7 MOT bay. Im just an employee but I'm looked after very well.

Update . . . Been in a few hours this morning. I've managed to get the glass out. Removed the motor, front cable guides, found one is actually broke hence the bent cable. Need to try and find a replacement or my try and brace it with steel. See first image.
    I'm struggling to see how the cables are replaced. Seems the sliders have to be removed from the runners but to do that I think the from has to be split which I'm concerned will cause more damage. I could just get a new front end frame but it's more expense. I went into this project thinking it was leaking hoses. I'm now into a full strip down!

0 0 0

10. Re: Just bought a Golf 6 estate . . . With leaking panoramic roof! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    If that broken part isn't cheap and quick to get I'd try gluing it back together with a slow set epoxy. Depending what was to hand and how it's faces go tight or not against other surfaces I'd drill it out to take a short section of tube and / or washer on each side glued as well so the forces on the glued plastic are minimised.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast