Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse (probably am!) but after having about 6 months of motoring in the Passat without one trip to the garage (bar oil changes) my confidence in the car has increased, however there is still the niggling thought in the back of my mind about the oil pump/balancer shaft.

From what I gather VW fitted chain drive versions until the end of 2005(?) and then upgraded to gear drive, but that wasn't 100% reliable either? Then after that they upgraded again to something that was reliable.

How do I find out (if I can) if I have the latter version which will not give me problems, or an earlier version which will? And if I do have the "first upgrade" which was better but not great, is it a case that regular oil changes can keep it from wearing out prematurely or is it doomed regardless?

I can send the VIN if anybody can check, but if it helps the delivery inspection was done on 23.10.2006 so presumably it was built shortly before that.
    2006 VW Passat 2.0 TDI (BKP) SE Estate

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Online resources say things like:

Chain Drive
    Code:
    F >> 3C-6E082 000
    F >> 3C-6P070 000
    2.0 ltr.
    Model data: diesel eng.+
    BMA,BKP,BMP
    Period: 0305 - 0905
    and

Gear Drive
    Code:
    F 3C-6E082 001>>
    F 3C-6P070 001>>
    2.0 ltr.
    Model data: diesel eng.+
    BVE,BWV,BMA,
    BKP,BMP,BUZ,
    BMR
    Period: 0805 - 0507
    Can you match that to VIN? Sounds like yours will be the latter of those two.

EDIT: Looking at slightly later years the follower in the balancer was changed from part 03G103295K (77mm shaft) to 03G103295AK (100mm shaft).

EDIT 2: As MM says, part changed Nov 2009 IIRC what I read this morning.
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 19-02-2020 at 08:39 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The real issue is that unless your engine has had the secondary shaft changed in the balance unit for a re-engineered unit or one of the aftermarket new ones that now seem to be available, with deeper hexagonal drive hole and a longer 100mm hardened steel hexagonal 'key' bar, your 2006 is likely to be at more risk of losing oil pump drive this way than the failure of the earliest chain driven units, another oil drive related occurrence. So you see there were originally 2 issues, a bad balance unit chain drive system where tensioners often failed plus a bad drive method for the oil pump itself. The later balance unit drive system was gear driven like that on my BMR, eliminating the weaknesses of the chain tensioner but still leaving the weak balance shaft drive mechanism for the oil pump drive. Later on VW brought in the longer oil pump drive key and deeper shaft hole but reverted back to a (better) chain drive method for the unit. This happened later on in the B6 era something in 2009 I believe
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you gentlemen!
    Similar thoughts from me as those of JMurray .
    Vw Passat B6 Estate , May? 2006 BKP engine, PD, No DPF.
    I'm new to this infinite game of searching of parts details for VWs despite having a good few in the past.
    --- VAG Abound , guide me - I can't precisely tie up my VIN number to one of the groups you cite --- Mine is 3Cz6E233140.

Two VW main dealer Asking two main VW dealers parts departments I have one saying mine is the original chain drive the other saying mine is the first of the gear drive balance shaft units. Any definitive answers appreciated. Regards. Ted

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ah, One post wonder it is!! Got to start somewhere Eh?

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Yep 2006 chain drive , 77mm .

Not good .

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you.
    Where did you get that from? From what source? VW parts catalogue matched against the engine part of the VIN number I gave?
    Ted

0 0 0

8. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Probably gear driven , as my father's 55 plate BKP was , was at a change point 2005 / 2006 , but still always the 77mm drive that failed for him on 83K .

It's not a VW parts fix either , well just the 100mm hex drive key is sub £15 is.

Remanufactured modified balancer shaft kit .

0 0 0

9. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Gear or chain, that early is failure prone. Using your VIN I can see your car was built 12.05.2006 and so it is gear driven 77mm.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Oil pump... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you both Gazwould and Crasher.
    Tell me more about the 'remanufacture' of the second balance shaft and oil pump to take the 100mm hex key drive.
    Is there a "kit" and if so from whom?

Also gentlemen, I see an alternative in this Youtube link --- VW and Audi TDI oil pump failure and balance shaft FAQ - YouTube --- a complete replacement oil pump only kit simply deleting the over-complicated balance shaft package. What d'you think of this?? No commitment asked for , just experienced opinion.

(Of the two I would prefer the mod to the 100mm drive hex.)

Lastly , Crasher, guide me as to how, knowing the VIN Number and the build date I can look up the OEM part number of any part I need on a 'parts list'.
    Thanks and regards
    Ted

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast