1. Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I am about for replace my 7 year old battery with a new one. Exactly the same make and model (varta 110ah).

Last time I replaced my battery, I just took the old one out and put a new one and had no problems. But reading on the Internet, there were suggestions to connect an alternate power source during removal or you may require radio codes etc. Do I need to do this?

Also I have a motorcycle which has a 10AH battery. Can I connect this using jump cables to my car jump ports provided in the bonnet while replacing the battery? Will this effect my motorcycle in any way?

0 0 0

2. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Exactly the way I'd do it. No loss of codes (does that still happen in 2020 now radios are so integrated and model specific?) and no damage to either battery. Just make sure the cables are the right way around!

(Once helped a Transit out in a car park in Birmingham. Gave him the earth cable to clip somewhere in the engine bay... he clipped it to the plastic radiator shroud.)

0 0 0

3. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorman63 View Post
    Exactly the way I'd do it. No loss of codes (does that still happen in 2020 now radios are so integrated and model specific?) and no damage to either battery. Just make sure the cables are the right way around!

(Once helped a Transit out in a car park in Birmingham. Gave him the earth cable to clip somewhere in the engine bay... he clipped it to the plastic radiator shroud.)
    Sorry didn't quite catch you. Are you suggesting just taking the old one out and putting a new one in with out hooking up any jump cables?

0 0 0

4. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    "no damage to either battery" rather suggests two batteries are involved, non? A pedant might point out the two batteries could be the new and the old... but why would you worry about damage to a knacked battery?

0 0 0

5. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    No radio codes required, just swap over the battery with one of the same AH.
    If you change the AH on a pre facelift model then you need to code the battery regulator module.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

6. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    there is a yoke you can get which goes into the cigarette lighter sorry aux power outlet to connect to a battery - but with the connection points below the bonnet no need - although i would fuse it to prevent any damage from a short circuit should something drop or not go to plan.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

7. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the inputs.
    I tried connecting the jump cables from my motorbike, but the alligator clamps were too big for the motorcycle battery. So I just changed the battery without connecting anything. Looks like everything is working fine.

The battery the car had when I bought it, was a 100AH. I replaced it with a 110AH Varta 7 years ago. Now I replaced with yet another 110AH Varta... Not sure if I need to add the battery code somewhere... but I think the old battery lasted well without adding any battery codes.

0 0 0

8. Re: Alternate power supply while changing battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    it cant be that important - you changed battery size and it was grand for 7 years.
    I am did a bit of digging and read it is to do with charge current. But it cannot be fixed, if you take into consideration driving into work during the summer vs the middle of winter, there has to be a change in charge current automatically?
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0