Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,
    Well my problems started 2 weeks ago, last month i stopped using my car for work after doing 10,000 miles in 6 months but used the car to go gym every night which is 5 mins away.
    went to use the car one morning and my dash-lights and mmi screen was glitching but the car started fine - after 5 mins everything worked fine and my TPMS light come on which i thought makes sense.
    so put air in the tires which all was fine and re-set the TPMS.
    the car did 100 miles that day which was fine.parked on my drive and went to use it at the night and noticed the audi a7 sign didn't appear in the dash - strange , pressed the stop start button and the car started but the dash cluster and mmi are powerless all my other power functions work the car starts, heaters,lights, wing mirrors,seats and even the radio station i was listening to in the morning but my mmi screen wont come out the dash and cluster is dead.
    So took it to Audi yesterday because they are close and they have found water ingress in the rear Tyre well - 6 hours to check how water has got in there is £1200 then they will inspect whats up with the cluster after that.so was looking at a bill of 2-3k
    got someone coming out tonight the do the vcds checks and just wondering if anyone has come across this before?
    Attached is the video off youtube which shows the same problems i had - sadly no reply how to fix it

Audi A7 faults (3) - YouTube

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Have you had a look in the rear tyre well?
    Remove the wheel and stuff and check the seals, it is possible one of them has moved (for some reason) and water has made it's way in.
    I know on the A8 (D4), the battery is in the rear wheel well so if the same on the A7, the water might have come into contact with various system fuses and relays.

Perhaps take the fuses and relays out and make sure they are properly dry?

£1200 to look at something..... jeez! And then another possible £1-2K to re-code. Man!!!!

0 0 0

3. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A8Cruiser View Post
    Have you had a look in the rear tyre well?
    Remove the wheel and stuff and check the seals, it is possible one of them has moved (for some reason) and water has made it's way in.
    I know on the A8 (D4), the battery is in the rear wheel well so if the same on the A7, the water might have come into contact with various system fuses and relays.

Perhaps take the fuses and relays out and make sure they are properly dry?

£1200 to look at something..... jeez! And then another possible £1-2K to re-code. Man!!!!
    Hi
    yes i have checked the wheel well and water has been there - my battery is there and looks like my voltage stabilizer has got wet - gonna change that tomorrow because it smells burnt.

Yeah my eyes watered when they said £1200 just to check - 6 hours work.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Townley View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Well my problems started 2 weeks ago, last month i stopped using my car for work after doing 10,000 miles in 6 months but used the car to go gym every night which is 5 mins away.
    went to use the car one morning and my dash-lights and mmi screen was glitching but the car started fine - after 5 mins everything worked fine and my TPMS light come on which i thought makes sense.
    so put air in the tires which all was fine and re-set the TPMS.
    the car did 100 miles that day which was fine.parked on my drive and went to use it at the night and noticed the audi a7 sign didn't appear in the dash - strange , pressed the stop start button and the car started but the dash cluster and mmi are powerless all my other power functions work the car starts, heaters,lights, wing mirrors,seats and even the radio station i was listening to in the morning but my mmi screen wont come out the dash and cluster is dead.
    So took it to Audi yesterday because they are close and they have found water ingress in the rear Tyre well - 6 hours to check how water has got in there is £1200 then they will inspect whats up with the cluster after that.so was looking at a bill of 2-3k
    got someone coming out tonight the do the vcds checks and just wondering if anyone has come across this before?
    Attached is the video off youtube which shows the same problems i had - sadly no reply how to fix it

Audi A7 faults (3) - YouTube

Thanks
    Hi there, that’s my video you found on YouTube, there’s a few others I put on there showing the same things if I remember.
    It was on my previous 11plate A7 I had but I was very lucky as I just had 2/3 weeks left on my warranty and it all got fixed from Audi.

Basically I had the same faults, no dash display, no mmi screen coming up, no speedo, no fuel gauge etc. Went 2/3 hrs to my closest Audi garage in Glasgow and they took most of the day to find about 2” of water in the bootwell and said they’d need it in for a couple of weeks to replace the wiring loom (as it was corroded with the water) then they’d send it to Stirling to their body shop to fix the leak. Needless to say I was handed back a car not fit for the road, (no speedo) so I would’ve probably got the book flung at me by mr plod and they never even dried up the water in the boot that day!!!!!
    Anyhow it took a month to get it back in to the garage again, as they were busy and I also needed a courtesy car, they gave me a Q7 as a courtesy car at the time (��) and it took 3 wks to sort it out but all done under warranty, thank goodness!
    The leak was coming in from high up in the boot lid and running down into the spare wheel well, gathering and corroding the loom. I’d imagine it would’ve been seats and interior all out to run the new loom to the dashboard but they never said and I never asked!!
    Sorry to say but I think it will be an expensive fix, although I’d have thought I would’ve heard of more cases of this by now and maybe have seen a recall.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Isn’t it going to be fun when water gets into the Lithium Ion battery pack of a car equipped with one of these water sensitive bombs at the cars lowest point, where water collects...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, my 2014 A7 has just started doing exactly this (same erratic cluster and MMI).

Checked the battery to see if I could see any glaring problems and found about an inch of water in the spare tyre well, this obviously meant the battery has been part submerged. I think it's the voltage converter next to it also which was at least halfway submerged. Lots of the wiring is soaked through.

Only bought it in May (from a dealership that's part of the halliwell jones group) and done less than 1000 miles due to covid work from home.... so really hoping will be covered under the 6 month warranty... but just for my own sanity I'm wondering what the end bill was for the work once fixed? Did you end up paying the 2-3K direct with audi or did you find a cheaper garage?

Matt

0 0 0

7. Re: 2011 Audi A7 electrical issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I bought mine from Glasgow Audi so it had the years warranty so they sorted it and covered it all, wouldn’t want to see the bill when they are £96 an hour....!!

You should be covered with your warranty, check the paperwork and TELL (don’t ask!) them you want it sorted! If you get pulled by the police and they say your car isn’t fit to drive (ie no speedo etc). it’s not roadworthy, you’ll get done.
    To be fair they probably wouldn’t check that closely in there before it was sold, but you never know...

0 0 0