Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Car Smoking Badly - Misdiagnosed Faulty Wiring Loom?

1. Car Smoking Badly - Misdiagnosed Faulty Wiring Loom? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

2007 VW Passat Estate B6 140 TDI - BKP

I hope someone can help. I've forever had issues with this car since I got it in July 2019 (I have previous related posts). The one major issue I am having currently is the car is smoking bad and idling rough. It has been doing this ever since the timing belt and water pump were changed which wasn't long after I got the car. This could be coincidental but I'm not sure. The mechanic who replaced the timing belt thinks it might be an injector. A diagnostic test shows the following injector fault:

P1264 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 2 (N241), Regulation Range Exceeded

I bought a used injector in the hope that my mechanic would replace it, but he's almost impossible to get anything done because's he's so busy. He only works a few days a week - this after several months of trying to get it done. I was more or less forced to leave it in to a local garage because a bolt snapped off the bottom engine mount, rendering the car unsafe to drive. This was due to a terrible fitting and incorrect bolt size by a previous owner presumably, or possibly the used car dealer. I cannot tell either way.

After the garage fixed the engine mount bolt at the bottom of the engine, they investigated the fault with the rough idling and smoking. They advised me that the injector I bought was the wrong fitting however, it was the wiring loom for the injectors at fault. All the injectors were testing OK. I agreed to get the wiring loom replaced. They had the car a week and a half. I picked it up yesterday after paying the bill of £350 or so and it seemed OK for a few hours, but it was still smoking a little. I was advised to take it for a few long drives and it will be fine. I've now done 30-40 miles up and down the motorway. When I started the car this morning, the same fault occurred. Smoking and rough idling.

I started the car this afternoon at lunch time and it appeared to be a lot worse than before. Smoke billowing out all over my work car park. Not a pleasant site. When I left work this evening, it was worse than ever. This time the cloud of white smoke followed me as I drove. Usually it would stop when driving, or certainly it was a lot less obvious. Now it is horrendous. I've already contacted the garage and they told me to leave the car in again on Thursday.

Could anyone throw an idea in as to what it might be? Strange that it started happening when the timing belt was replaced. I'm not sure if there's any connection there.

Is there any mechanics on here from Belfast area in NI who could maybe take a look?

I really am at the end of my tether with this car. I've had numerous issues with it since I got it in July. I'm now possibly going to pursue the issue with the dealer I bought it from. They have done nothing but fob me off.

Really appreciate any pointers from anyone. Thank you!
    Last edited by vipergrm; 22-01-2020 at 07:00 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Car Smoking Badly - Misdiagnosed Faulty Wiring Loom? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    You need to see what fault code has come back, if any. The code you posted above is very faint by the way but that code is not an injector harness fault, it is the injector. Used ones are a mugs game.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Car Smoking Badly - Misdiagnosed Faulty Wiring Loom? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply @Crasher. Sorry,vi didn't realise the font on the fault code was messed up. I've changed that now.

The fault code is the exact same before the wiring loom was replaced. The code didn't clear.

Appreciate used injectors are a mug's game but if I recall, new ones are very expensive. At least if a used injector doesn't work, I don't be out of pocket too much.

The car cost me around £1500 but I've probably spent that again on repairs and maintenance and it still runs awful.

0 0 0

4. Re: Car Smoking Badly - Misdiagnosed Faulty Wiring Loom? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Yes new injectors are expensive but you could easily fit a faulty used one and really confuse yourself. You can get brand new VDO units on fleaBay for £425 or £482.36 genuine. I would check to see if Belfast is going to introduce an emissions zone as there is no point putting money into a non EU6 diesel only for it to be taxed out of use, in Birmingham it will be £50 each time you enter the zone...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0