1. 2010 C6 Saloon Rear LED Brake Light problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone developed a fix for what appears is a VERY common problem with this car?

Both rear lenses have cracks on them allowing condensation and even 'road' water into the unit which hasn't caused a problem up until yesterday, however the drivers side rear light has now developed a fault, with a dash warning!

Whilst all the LED's illuminate with side lights, when the Brake is depressed only the very 'outer' section glows brighter for brake lights, about ten along the top, ten along the bottom and the very outer bulbs get brighter when brakes are on.

The rest of the main, outer unit and all of the unit which is part of the boot lid dont work, they remain as side lights only when the brakes pressed.

I took the light out yesterday and removed the black rear cover. There is lots of what looks like corrosion in there! From the car, there is a female multi-block connector which plugs into the male socket on the light unit and that all looks fine.

When you remove the rear cover, on the inside of where the male multi-block connector slots into, there are four metal pins and another four block connector with 4/5 wires coming out of it, they in turn head inside the light unit and plug in via a small female connector to a circuit board. I unplugged at both ends and removed the wire altogether, there are visible signs of corrosion!

I've cleaned it up best I can and put it all back together, and for about four seconds, all of the brake lights worked!!! But then they failed again... I wish i could get the circuit board out and have a look behind it!

Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy a replacement unit that's not £150 / £200 or indeed, suggest something I haven't tried to solve the problem in hand?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2010 C6 Saloon Rear LED Brake Light problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure there are replicas on Ebay that are from China. Much cheaper and from the pictures look like the real thing. Ive never seen them in person but worth a punt if you're mot willing to get a brand new genuine one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: 2010 C6 Saloon Rear LED Brake Light problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have the estate (avant) version but also had rear light issues. Replaced in the end with new units from headlampsdirect.co.uk and they have been great.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2010 C6 Saloon Rear LED Brake Light problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Don't forget the bulb checking function is a resistance check; so it's checking the bulb and all the connections in the circuit. The multiplug is obviously part of the issue here but you may get some improvement by working on the bulb holder - base and side - and the bulbs - base and side - while you source a new part. Some have improved things by putting an extra earth wire in to bypass the tiny single pin which is expected to handle all the earth current (about 8A if everything is on)

0 0 0

5. Re: 2010 C6 Saloon Rear LED Brake Light problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, have the same model and year, ended up replacing both outers, eBay, about £86 each although you have to wait a few weeks from China.
    They are an original velo light, trouble is now it makes the inner lights look old.

0 0 0