Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank.

1. Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

First time posting so will try and give as much information as possible.

I have a 2011 passat cc 140 cr 2ltr diesel bluemotion. It has 96000 on the clock.

Up until last weekend the car was running smoothly with the odd issue but nothing that couldn't be rectified with 30 minutes under the bonet.

I parked up on saturday evening and was in the car for 5 minutes. I think the stop start kicked in as I was waiting. All of a sudden it was as if the car was trying to start itself all of the lights on the dash flashing but it would not start. I turned off the engine went inside and came back around 5 minutes later. Went to start the engine and got multiple faults. One for several keys in the vehicle and brake failure on the display. Ive had a few issues with the keys before.

Waited for the rac thinking I would need a jump start and they couldnt come out. So went back the next day the tech connected up to the battery after telling me my battery was rubbish and recommended I buy one from him. He then went to jump the vehicle and it wouldnt start. Then he told me I had 12.3v and 50% charge and the battery was ok. There was no more he could do. Before this I could put windows up and down and everything still worked. He left some leads on and dissapeared into his truck. All of a sudden the battery was completly dead. The windows kept dropping and a range of faults came up.

He then had it towed back outside the house. Once outside the house I disconnected the battery took it to the garage and charged it back up and still nothing. When trying to start the car I get a click that I believe is from the solenoid on the start. I did the some checks with a voltmeter and the ground seems good and get 12.4v from the battery and at the solenoid terminal and from the trigger wire.

I used an old diagnostic system from a friends garage that picked up a range of faults.

The first was starter relay circuit electrical malfunction (p308800)
    Starter blocked or electrical malfunction (p305400)
    Lost communication with ecm/pcm A (u0100)
    I had a range of other faults due to low voltage. I tried to delete the error codes so I could rescan.

When I rescanned i got the Starter blocked or electrical malfunction (p305400) which weirdly displays as yellow and not red (red being a serious fault)

03263 electric parking brake reduced function
    03803 steering angle sensor.

The button on the handbrake is just flashing over and over and you cannot do anything with it.

I know the steering angle sensor normally rectifies itself after changing a battery when you start the vehicle and drive it around.

When trying to delete the parking brake fault i get 3 beeps in the car and the system refuses to reset the fault. The starter fault will reset and immediatley come back.

I have cleaned all the contacts and tightened them all but still no luck other than a single click when trying to start the car.

I have tried multiple batteries and still nothing.

I have read it may be the ecu relay or the starter relay but as its a 2011 there are no fuse maps in the manual.

The parking brake fault suggests i consult the manual but nothing in there or it advises a workshop.

Would the parking brake fault stop the car from starting?

The keys have lost their code in the past could it be an immobiliser issue or would i get fault come up for that.

When running the diagnostic check i do note that the radio randomly turns on and off by itself.

Any suggestions or has anyone encountered similar issues?

I have literally been through every post and found a range of random suggestions such as resistance in the solenoid switch which is stopping it from connecting and to jump the solenoid. I have also read that it could be the alternator but surely if I have a brand new battery it should atleast crank.

It may be worth noting I had an issue with the rear left abs sensor but changed it outside the house which cleared all of the faults 2 days before this happened.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if you need any more information from me please do let me know.

0 0 0

2. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    You've mentioned that you have tried several batteries which should rule out the battery or its conections, but have you checked the negative lead chassis conection.

If the starter solenoid is clicking, and with 12v present on the solenoid, sounds like the started motor needs changing.

I think the 03263 code means that one parking brake is on while the other is off.

The parking brake is very susceptible to low voltage problems, so that may clear after you get the engine running & the battery charging.

The parking brake fault won't stop the engine from starting.

0 0 0

3. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Had a further thought about your starter not turning.

It could be that the starter solenoid needs an earth to operate it, & it normally sits with +12v on one side of it.
    So what you are reading with your tester at the starter motor could be correct.

You really need circuit diagrams to go any further which I don't have access to.

0 0 0

4. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    It is showing all the signs of a faulty cell in the battery, have you actually fitted a new battery?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    Had a further thought about your starter not turning.

It could be that the starter solenoid needs an earth to operate it, & it normally sits with +12v on one side of it.
    So what you are reading with your tester at the starter motor could be correct.

You really need circuit diagrams to go any further which I don't have access to.
    Hi, Thanks for your response. The connection points to the chasis seems fine clean and secure. Earth seems good with a 0.01 volt drop at most.

You were correct and upon hooking up a brand new battery all faults have dissapeared except the starter motor fault that it is either blocked or electrical malfunction. Someone on this forum had a googlesite with fuse maps etc. I paid them the subscription fee but no maps have been shared so will be reversing via paypal. I have checked all fuses and resistance seems good on relays but will try new relays for the Ecu and starter tomorrow just incase, other than that I think off to the garage for a new starter as it is far too cold to do this outside the house

0 0 0

6. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is showing all the signs of a faulty cell in the battery, have you actually fitted a new battery?
    Hi, thankyou for responding. I have fitted a used battery that was load tested and a new battery both have the same issue.

0 0 0

7. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You really need to get a code read done.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You really need to get a code read done.
    The only code I have now is Starter blocked or electrical malfunction (p305400)

0 0 0

9. Re: Help Please: Passat CC 2011 wont crank. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Have a look at this thread, seems to be a similar issue.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/186801-B7-bluemotion-2-0-wont-crank

Turned out to be a broken wire between the dash fuse box & relay 2 located UNDER the main engine bay fuse box.

0 0 0