Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Any ideas? I have no conservatory, the back door leads straight to outside and slugs come in every night and inhabit the cats food bowl, its a bit annoying. Any low cost ideas on how to stop them?

0 0 0

2. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    We used to have this in one of student digs. No cat bowl, just a rather too damp house. Aren't they supposed to be attracted to stale beer (as in ale, not sure about lager)? Try a shallow bowl of that outside? Or maybe a bit of cat food?

If there's a gap under the door put something to block it like a brush strip. ISTR they don't like crossing dry sharp sand or sharp gravel if you have a way yo put some down.

0 0 0

3. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Put some salt down. Have you ever put salt on a slug

0 0 0

4. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste81 View Post
    Put some salt down. Have you ever put salt on a slug

Yeah, but it soon washes away, (allegedly) damages concrete, and a dead, exploded slug is not as hassle free as one that has gone somewhere else to hide (or drowned in the beer ).
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 04-01-2020 at 08:35 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    We used to have this in one of student digs. No cat bowl, just a rather too damp house. Aren't they supposed to be attracted to stale beer (as in ale, not sure about lager)? Try a shallow bowl of that outside? Or maybe a bit of cat food?

If there's a gap under the door put something to block it like a brush strip. ISTR they don't like crossing dry sharp sand or sharp gravel if you have a way yo put some down.
    There used to be a brush strip on the door but I ripped it off to try and see where they were coming in, it doesn't work to stop the slugs, damn things can squeeze through the tiniest of gaps. Baffles me how they know to come into my house! I've tried a copper strip on the floor and that didn't work.

0 0 0

6. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devonian View Post
    There used to be a brush strip on the door but I ripped it off to try and see where they were coming in, it doesn't work to stop the slugs, damn things can squeeze through the tiniest of gaps. Baffles me how they know to come into my house! I've tried a copper strip on the floor and that didn't work.

Having studied their habits a bit I think they often come through damp bits of building. Rotten wood creating gaps, poorly ventilated suspended wooden floors creating nice areas with gaps near skirting, etc. If you can't immediately see their trails maybe put something down to help. Sheets of lining paper? Dusting of talc?

0 0 0

7. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Having studied their habits a bit I think they often come through damp bits of building. Rotten wood creating gaps, poorly ventilated suspended wooden floors creating nice areas with gaps near skirting, etc. If you can't immediately see their trails maybe put something down to help. Sheets of lining paper? Dusting of talc?
    Its pretty obvious they're coming from under in from under the back door, I've tried to nail down if its just one part of under the door but I think they can access the house from underneath any part of the door. I have some rubber trim that goes around car doors for protection that I could try affixing underneath it but it would be tricky and also it might make closing the door not work properly.

0 0 0

8. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    So I'd focus on things to divert them outside if you don't think they are actually emerging from parts of the building fabric. Beer trap, and I've just thought of one of those prickly door mat things which they probably won't like crawling over.

0 0 0

9. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Stretch one copper and one zinc/galvanised steel wire, about 0.5 mm apart, across the floor under the door. The small voltage produced across a damp slug should deter them.

Or two copper wires with a dry cell connected between them. Start with a single cell (1.5 volts), increase as necessary
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 1 0

10. Re: How to stop slugs coming in back door at night? (Serious question) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not had any slugs but get the odd woodlice. No idea where they are coming from!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast