Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda?

1. Question Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've recently bought my first car, it's a Skoda Octavia 2008 hatchback, 1.9 TDI (105 Hp). The dashboard could use some modernisation, beyond a Bluetooth, USB, FM transmitter in the lighter socket.

What I'm trying to find out is: Should I be able to put this product into my car?
    PUMPKIN Android 9.0 Double Din Car Stereo Head Unit 4GB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I think it's just a matter of disconnecting the battery, taking out the T20/T25 screws and plugging in the ISO cables, but I've never done this before and £229.99 on an incompatible gadget is a lot to misplace.

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 0 0

2. Re: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Hi, and welcome. Happy driving.

The connector behind the radio isnt standard ISO. Do a search on double DIN and you'll find what others have done.

An alternative would be to fit an original VAG Bluetooth phone kit. It'll integrate with the radio and shoild give both phone and music. Will also leave OEM unit looking less exciting and nickable depending on how much of that you get in your area.

And those Android units have a bit of a reputation for not lasting long...

0 0 0

3. Re: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I should mention that, for the OEM phone kits, without suitable controls on the steering wheel or radio (which one is it?) you'll have to use controls on phone. There are also complications of what version the dashboard display unit is to get best experience. So can wotk well but needs some research and lanning.

0 0 0

4. Re: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Hi, and welcome. Happy driving.
    Thank you!

The connector behind the radio isnt standard ISO. Do a search on double DIN and you'll find what others have done.
    So are you saying there would be an ISO cable that adapts the Pumpkin head unit to this Skoda Octavia?

Having had a look at dynamicsounds.co.uk I searched "Skoda / Octavia / Wiring Harness / 2008" and got a list of different products. I'm not sure whether I'd need a "CT20VW07 Skoda All Models Wiring Harness Adaptor" or "CT20VW03 Skoda Fabia, Octavia, Roomster, Superb, Yeti ISO Wiring Harness Adaptor" for instance, because they each have different appearances. I'm trying to figure out what to plug into this (from the Pumpkin head unit I want to buy):

I could take my radio out and look at the connector interface behind it, although I'll need to see about how to open the battery cover first and disconnect it. I understand the radio has a "Safety Code" which is paired to my car, so it won't get locked out after it's disconnected.

An alternative would be to fit an original VAG Bluetooth phone kit. It'll integrate with the radio and shoild give both phone and music. Will also leave OEM unit looking less exciting and nickable depending on how much of that you get in your area.

And those Android units have a bit of a reputation for not lasting long...
    Do they? I'd still like to go for it and find out. I love Android and meddling with information technology. I just want to see what is required to get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I should mention that, for the OEM phone kits, without suitable controls on the steering wheel or radio (which one is it?) you'll have to use controls on phone. There are also complications of what version the dashboard display unit is to get best experience. So can wotk well but needs some research and lanning.
    I had to look up what steering wheel control was. There are no buttons on my steering wheel, besides the horn, in so far as I can tell.

Here's the dashboard:

I'll keep the old radio for selling the car, or something else.

0 0 0

5. Re: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    If it's one of these then it does indeed look like it has ISO connectors: Skoda Octavia Superb Symphony Radio Stereo CD MP3 Player +CODE 1U0035156F | eBay.

The description of that CT20VW07 item is a bit misleading as it talks about "power and speakers wiring" but looks like it is just a way of arranging red / yellow wires for switched and permanent 12V supply in the power block. Personally I'd wiggle the pins out of the ISO adapter supplied with the radio to reposition them if necessary - and often they are left loose for you to put in the right place anyway . Remember it will be an extra chunk of wiring to squeeze behind the radio as well if you use it. In short, not needed and best avoided if you can.

looking at the photos of Skoda and Android units, you may need one of these radio aerial adapters : Car CD Radio Stereo ISO To DIN Male Aerial Antenna AM FM Adaptor AAN2100 PC5-27 | eBay.

It looks like you already have the trim panel for after market units as well. Do you think a 2DIN will go straight in? There are other Skoda trims available, but no point looking which one would be the correct one until you know you need one.

Since it doesn't seem to have the Quadlock wiring (that's the connector in the CT20VW03 item) you can forget what I was saying about VAG telephone modules . Unless when you go behind you find there is already a factory fitted Quadlock to ISO adapter.

0 0 0

6. Re: Should any Double DIN Head Unit work in my Skoda? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    A final tip maybe... In general it's worth understanding what all the pins and wires are connecting to so that everything works and nothing gets fried . You'd do well to have a simple multimeter (it'll come in handy for other things as well ) to find the permanent and switched 12V reliably, make sure any 12V the radio returns for amp or aerial control is going somewhere sensible, etc. For example, read Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem.

0 0 0