Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all
    Was driving to cinema and kids at the back said they could hear water sloshing around, and after a while I heard it as well, so got home, removed the sides trim and both pipes leaving down from the small holes at the top next to boot hinges were knackered, one had perished and wasn't even going to the exit hole and was just dangling and was leaking straight into the boot and the other was blocked up. So replacement pipes and cover things (at the top of the boot hinge) have been replaced and no leaks any more, I've been in the boot with kids spraying the car and double checked so all good

So here's there rub, how do I get the water that is in the boot out???? I can't lift up the black plastic thing that the spare wheel sits into, see pic, it almost like its glued down from the sides, all other side trim I can remove but can't see anyway of getting to the water. Are there are drain holes underneath the car that I should be looking at and not be looking inside the boot? Its not the annoying sound of water sloshing rounds its the damage it could do i.e. rust or damage to wiring that's bugging me like crazy. Car is a saloon. How do I remove the buig black plastic thing that the spare wheel sits into? Do I need to remove it? Am I looking in the wrong place? Any help is appreciated folks

IMG_20191228_133651.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Are you sure it is not the fuel tank making the sloshing noise?
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

3. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    absolutely, 100% certain its not the fuel tank

0 0 0

4. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran View Post
    absolutely, 100% certain its not the fuel tank
    From memory for this type of spare wheel 'tub' if you can not identify any visible fasteners such as push fit type connectors, bolts, torx screws etc. then it is likely to be bonded in. I am sure someone on a VW forum somewhere has removed their 'tub' before, I just can't locate the exact forum or thread.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

5. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I cant identify anything that might be holding it in, when I pull on the central pole thingy the middle part, the basin does lift up slightly just the sides dont budge, you are probably right, it does look bonded in, ok, lets assume it is bonded, how do I get to the water underneath? any ideas? surely there has to be some drain holes or plugs or something underneath this 'tub'

0 0 0

6. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I don't suppose anyone has an exploded diagram of the boot, hoping it may show where if any the drain plugs/holes are.....

0 0 0

7. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    You can find diagrams in online ETKA hosters, but its hard to line up the views with a plan view of the boot area. BTW, they don't show any fastenings to hold / release the plastic well.

If you can't see them under the car to pop out then I'd consider making 25mm or so holes in the liner to put a bit of pipe into and suck / siphon the water out. If you move a ~8mm hose around and blow you'll hopefully find where the water is deepest, maybe parking on a slope to get it there. Then draw off from that deep point.

0 0 0

8. Re: how to drain water from boot 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    appreciate your replies guys 👍 my mechanic is back from holiday on monday so provisionally booked in with him on tuesday to see if we can see any holes under the car to help in draining, if not drill job it is, tempted to drill.through the tub and see how we do, anyone got any any other ideas? tips?

0 0 0