Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I have just replaced the front discs and pads on my Audi A3 1.6 TDI 2010 , no issues with passenger side - managed to re-install the caliper sliding bolts and get torqued up to 48nm ( is this too high), however hit an issue with drivers side whereby the securing bolts appeared to engage and tighten BUT unable to torque them up - on closer inspection it looks like the inserts in the HUB Carrier are damaged - a few questions :-
    1) Is it possible to refit these inserts - if so any advice on what I need to purchase ( size ? M9 ?)and how easy is it to fit these ?
    2) If not possible , do I need to replace the whole HUB carrier ?
    3) If so , how easy is this to do and does a new carrier come with inserts or do I still need to insert these myself ( in which case back to option1)
    4) I put threadlock on the 7mm hex bolts, but worried that this is not a really safe option ( might be OK to get the car to a garage for professional repair)

Any help /advice appreciated .

0 0 0

2. Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    If someone’s helicoiled them then someone’s already over torqued them and stripped the threads. I would just get a new hub carrier as you can’t take chances with brakes! Mine are 30Nm but they vary between the different callipers installed.
    Last edited by jonathanfenton; 25-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The inserts are fitted to deal with damaged threads, you can buy the kit to instal or just new inserts A-M916P-R 10pc Break Caliper Guide Thread Repair Inserts Fixings M9 x 1.25mm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply -unfortunately amazon link says not in stock or maybe not in stock again , however will search for the PN , the picture at least gives me a better picture of what I need to get .

0 0 0

5. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Laser tools sell the kit and refills.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Makes me chuckle how An-al you are with some stuff Crasher but not with others

0 0 0

7. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The repair system was originally devised by a German tool manufacturer, something or other Werksaug but my brain is Port addled, and it is a TUV approved repair insert for VAG and GM model which use a one piece hub and pad carrier. There is now a VAG version but in the early days of the PQ34 platform, I was often called into our local VAG dealers to save their arses when the pin had stripped the thread when doing the pads. If Photobucket was not so incomprehensibly useless (paid account as well!) I could show you the TUV approved instructions for installing the. I have been using them for years and never had one fail and if they look poor at a pad change, you can tap the old one out and draw a new one in. In fact it could be argued that as they are high tensile steel being pulled into and replacing cast iron, they are superior.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Fair enough! I stand corrected.

0 0 0

9. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi, By searching on ebay for the item number https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-M916P-Brake-Caliper-Guide-Thread-Repair-Tool-Set-VAG-VW-Vauxhall-Ford-Seat/122312157817 I found a repair kit ~£25 - now for some more dumb questions
    1) the kit contains what looks to be 10 x M9 threaded steel inserts , 2 off which I assume need to replace the 2 inserts in the hub carrier
    2) To remove the old inserts - can these be removed with the hub carrier on the car ( if so how ?) OR need to remove the hub carrier (big job for a novice) and do on a bench & then refit ?
    3) Spoke to my local garage and he would NOT helicoil the carrier since its a brake system - got the impression he would recommend replacing the hub carrier with a new one.(expensive but safe option)
    4)

0 0 0

10. Re: Brake Caliper bolt issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I remembered who it was now but interestingly they have stopped making that kit and now sell repair pins, I will have to look into why https://www.swstahl.de/catalog/product_detail_view/id/684

Do you already have those inserts fitted? Photobucket is still being useless, almost criminally asking for more money even though I can’t access the storage I already pay for!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0