Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey,

Past few weeks my SDI has struggled to start for the first time of the day. After it's been started it's fine for the rest of the day. Originally thought it was the glow plugs but I've had them tested along with the battery and alternator and they came back fine.

Golf started with some trouble a few days ago but up on reaching the first junction and going into idle the engine stalled and wouldn't start again. I've had the car towed back and with difficulty I can get it started but every time I drop the revs the engine will cut out. I'm under the assumption this could be an air to fuel mixture problem.

I've scanned with an OBD to see generic codes and nothing is showing with no EML on. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thank you.

0 0 0

2. Re: Mk5 Golf 2.0L SDI: Engine Cuts Out When Idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    It does sound like air in the fuel line.

The fuel filter is a prime suspect if it has been changed lately.

Otherwise the primmer bulb is a suspect if it has one.

If it is coming from elsewhere, you can add some clear plastic tube to different parts of the fuel line & look for bubbles.

0 0 0

3. Re: Mk5 Golf 2.0L SDI: Engine Cuts Out When Idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I tested in situ the glow plugs on a 5 cylinder Touareg last week and all past, they are evil to take out. I couldn’t find anything wrong so got someone else () to take the inlet manifold off and take them out, all five were burnt out and did nothing with 12v applied but passed the resistance test.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Mk5 Golf 2.0L SDI: Engine Cuts Out When Idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think it's the glow plugs, just had a look see what I could notice. Heard buzzing coming from the anti-shudder valve. I've took the pipe off to look in and it's siezed open. It buzzes and vibrates trying to close but it can't. Can it being stuck open be causing the issues?

0 0 0

5. Re: Mk5 Golf 2.0L SDI: Engine Cuts Out When Idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Diesels don’t have a throttle, that one is only there to shut the engine down faster by cutting off the air. What can happen is the stick shut and this WILL prevent the engine starting but the sound and feel of the cranking change, feeling like it has no compression... as effectively is doesn’t.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0