1. New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having been used to excellent forums for Land Rovers in the UK I am finding it hard to find people enthusiastic about the Q7, which I find a bit strange. I have been using an American resource quite a lot recently, but there has not been much response to my posts. This would seem to be the best UK forum, although pretty quiet, so thought I would give it a post. This will be a bit of a ramble on life with a Q7, but hopefully of some interest to others.
    I purchased my 2012 Q7 S Line Plus two weeks ago. It has 51,000 miles on the clock and is fairly immaculate. Whilst it is top specification it does not appear to have any extras fitted. The Plus gives me the reverse cam, electric tailgate, HDD colour Nav with SIM, Verano leather, privacy glass and 21” wheels. I would have liked memory seats and panoramic roof, but I know the latter can be a pain. It is Daytona grey with black leather. I love the grey, like the black leather, dislike the black roof lining and aluminium trim. Loving the MMI.
    My Disco 3 replaced my Lexus RX300 about 5 years ago, but we kept the Lexus for my partner. It has only just been sold as I am on my own now, it was totally dependable and boring. The Disco was always the vehicle of choice, and we did a lot of community support work with it. I live down a single-track road and a 4x4 is pretty essential in getting out to main roads in bad weather. So, the Disco was ideal, but not for long road trips. I wanted something 4x4 that had more car like handling.
    The short list had been running for almost two years – yes, I have an affliction for cars! The replacement vehicle had to accommodate my cross Bernese / Leonberger, needed to be quick, handle well, comfortable, economical and have four-wheel drive. Tall order.
    The X5 was in the mix, lovely handling, quick with the twin turbo, but a bit bland inside - no real sense of occasion to drive. The tailgate was not dog friendly (big dogs can’t jump onto tailgates), but the 7-seater allowed rear door entry. Very expensive to buy and not very economical. Test drives overall underwhelming.
    Touareg had impressive engineering in a bland package, preferred the first generation, but only the later ones were lower tax and higher MPG. Not impressed enough to drive one. Cayenne much more attractive, but much more expensive, to buy and run.
    Mercedes not in the running although the second-generation R Class was appealing. Lexus RX450h was as expected, impeccable engineering, horrible washing machine transmission, weird mouse.
    Land Rover very much an option, but…. Disco 4 and RRS both with catastrophic engine failures possible. And as good as the Disco is, I did not want much the same again. FFRR a real alternative, bit of an old Englishman’s motor carriage, quite reliable (for a Land Rover), but a bit long in the tooth now and quite expensive to run.
    Hence the Q7. I looked at this one and loved it, but then decided against it. Two weeks down the road and other options ran out, so I went back and bought it. Most I have ever paid for a car, but it is low miles at a good price. It is dog friendly in that she can enter from the rear door or the boot hatch. It has air which I like, plus adjustable ride which will be good. The leather is soft, unlike the hard Dakota in the BMW’s. Everything is intuitive, you just sit in and it all falls to hand – other makes did not manage this. And I like the MMI and love the Sat Nav in the instrument display.
    So, in two weeks I have been nowhere. The Q7 is in my workshop being fettled for use, which is the subject of another post.

I have tried to upload some photos without success, is this possible?

0 0 0

2. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I also find this forum very quite, I also have an sline plus. Mine has many extras which just adds to luxury feel of them.
    It certainly does everything we want it to plus a bit more than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 3.0 tdi le mans : Hybrid turbo decat : miltek etc : 330-350 bhp : 450-500lbsft

Visibility pack. Adaptive xenon, Privacy glass. Bose surround. Dvd nav. Comms pack, led plate lights.
    Miltek, custom map,hybrid turbo, decat improved airflow to intercoolers.

0 0 0

3. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    The model is getting a bit old now, probably all the enthusiastic owners have already moved on to other vehicles. Your neighbouring Q7 4M sub forum is a bit more lively but not as lively as before as well... regardless it is still a great vehicle, enjoy your new toy! You didn’t get the monstrous V12 TDI, did you? ��
    Q7 272PS S-Line | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Tour Pack Adv | Leather Pack | Park Assist Pack | Comfort & Sound Pack | All-Wheel Steering | Matrix | Pan Roof | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | Full Valcona | Heated Rear Seats | Night Vision | BOSE | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Heated Windscreen | Heated Steering Wheel | Adv Key | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Lighting | Heated Mirrors | 360 Cameras | Rear Airbags | Glacier White | Gloss Black Alloys | Carbon Door Mirrors | Black Roof Rails | Rear Sunblinds | Audi LED Entry Lights | De-badged

0 0 0

4. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have the same year and model (purchased at the same time as you) and am thinking of selling it. Many of the faults were covered under dealer warranty but lately it's cost me dearly.

Started off with a microswitch failing for the tailgate which still powered up and down but it messed with the alarm system and display on the dash. Next up was the keyless locking, and on all four doors which went one by one. Would unlock but not lock using the exterior buttons. Had to have four new handles painted and colour coded, maybe it might have been possible to swop out just the microswitches but a horrible job. After this the air con failed, a part rubber, part alloy pipe developed a pinhole leak adjacent the nearside wheel arch. Following this I had an ABS problem and had to have a new rotor on the offside rear wheel. Very expensive and difficult to get off. It had corroded and the sensor wasn't getting a plausible signal. The underside of the car is very clean, no corrosion in general. Finally it popped a fuel injector, the most expensive (£1100) repair to date. I'm living with a small oil leak from the rear of the engine which drips into the engine under tray instead of on my block paving.

Maybe I've been unlucky. I tried to avoid possible problems by getting the sealed-for-life gearbox oil changed (£550) at 75K miles and changing the anti-freeze as service items. I always use Mobil 1 in the engine.

Wife's X3 Beemer has been perfect during the same two year period. Makes me want to investigate a X5 or X6, maybe even go down to one car. I already lost maybe £12K in depreciation on it (£6k/yr) and I got it for a good price else it would be even more!
    Last edited by limecc; 12-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Complex cars that are getting old, £70k car and an old one with £70k car running costs, cars don't get cheaper to maintain as they age, quite the opposite. Just finished cleaning the DPF's and cats on a 4L V8, £2500 job.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by limecc View Post
    I have the same year and model (purchased at the same time as you) and am thinking of selling it. Many of the faults were covered under dealer warranty but lately it's cost me dearly.

Started off with a microswitch failing for the tailgate which still powered up and down but it messed with the alarm system and display on the dash. Next up was the keyless locking, and on all four doors which went one by one. Would unlock but not lock using the exterior buttons. Had to have four new handles painted and colour coded, maybe it might have been possible to swop out just the microswitches but a horrible job. After this the air con failed, a part rubber, part alloy pipe developed a pinhole leak adjacent the nearside wheel arch. Following this I had an ABS problem and had to have a new rotor on the offside rear wheel. Very expensive and difficult to get off. It had corroded and the sensor wasn't getting a plausible signal. The underside of the car is very clean, no corrosion in general. Finally it popped a fuel injector, the most expensive (£1100) repair to date. I'm living with a small oil leak from the rear of the engine which drips into the engine under tray instead of on my block paving.

Maybe I've been unlucky. I tried to avoid possible problems by getting the sealed-for-life gearbox oil changed (£550) at 75K miles and changing the anti-freeze as service items. I always use Mobil 1 in the engine.

Wife's X3 Beemer has been perfect during the same two year period. Makes me want to investigate a X5 or X6, maybe even go down to one car. I already lost maybe £12K in depreciation on it (£6k/yr) and I got it for a good price else it would be even more!
    So fast forward a few months and what else?

Clocked up 100K and another 200+ mile trip home on the back of a recovery truck. Harmonic balancer failed, lost power steering, alternator and water pump. Another classic 3.0 tdi fail. Fortunately did this one myself, plenty of room to get at it, latest version pulley and parts a snip at £320. I changed disks, pads and shoes all round, at the same time doing a caliper spray job. Money saved paid for a drilled and slotted disk upgrade.

Unfortunately the offside handbrake cable was siezed and it wasn't a job I fancied taking on without a ramp and oxy/acet so it's currently in for that. Don't get why this happened, it's pretty much corrosion free underneath and I Waxoyled it.

0 0 0

7. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We had an early 4L in a few weeks ago and the rust underneath was out of control, holes in the outrigger that holds the pump and rust all over the floor with some that went crunch when you touched them
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Latest twist of Q7 unreliability came with the failure of the main ECU. It would start from cold and run normally for 30 secs before spluttering and dying not to restart however long cranked. Suspected short circuiting injector or wiring harness but these checked out. £1500 for new ECU according to Nottingham Audi so Ebay to rescue, a snip at £600. Old one couldn't be repaired so lost the remap. The failed ECU had a waterproof plastic cover which went on the replacement. Fat lot of good it did.

The above was rapidly followed by a bulb-out error on the genuine Audi LED number plate lights which work perfectly when powered externally and briefly when fitted to the car. Cheap aftermarket replacements working well for now, can't find out how to disable the cold check with VCDS to refit the Audi ones.

Check out
    https://youtu.be/Fwbx_KHvPss
    My main issues seem to be common faults.

0 0 0

9. Re: New Q7 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Old 4L's are a money pit, 4M's are getting as bad even faster.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0