Now that the MK8 is out, the MK5 is a 3 generations old car. BUT, it can do everything like a 2020 car.

PROS:
-handles great.
-ride comfort is excellent, one of the most comfortable cars I'v driven.
-gearbox is very precise, very smooth even with 280.000km on the clock (I had recently replaced the clutch kit)
-car size is just right, the MK6 is the same size, and the MK7 is an inch bigger. The MK8 is exactly the same as the MK7, so the cars don't get bigger anymore.
-the multilink is standard on all models. The MK7 and 8 went dirty cheap on this.
-the MK8 even went so far, they removed the bonet gas struts to save 3$. Dirty cheap VW cost saving plans, cause they are filthy rich.
-the new MQB platform (for cost saving) is not better than the PQ35 platform.
-the economy, performance and responsiveness on the PD diesel engines is still second to none (1.9tdi PD 105) . Much, much better than any new car with 120-130hp.
-excellent brakes. Better than the 2019 Astra I drove few months ago.
-gadgets like cruise control, automatic headlights, automatic wipers, autodim mirrors, rear climate vents are onboard.
-always fires on the first turn of the key.
-the best looking Golf by a mile (subjective )
-euro 4 is achieved without DPF. Never smokes.
-extra econmical, avg fuel consumption of 5 liters per 100km.
-the last iteration of the 1.9tdi.
-extended oil service interval at 50.000km or 2 years. Still the longest out there.
-doesn't rust.

CONS:
-engine is loud inside, i think insulation is missing on important places. Also the engine likes to vibrate a lot.
-dirty cheap plastic on the central dashboard and air vents. I think this was done deliberately, so that you know you ain't buying Audi. But they didn't have to go so cheap.

When I drive them friends with my Golf, they are positively suprised at how well a 15 yo car behaves. If this car went into production in 2020 it would be up there with the current competition, doing very good. I think this is absurd, because there never was a 3 generations old car that could compete with the current production models. Historically there were big upgrades in each new model, rendering the old model obsolete, but it seems now that the evolution of the cars has stopped. The cars are no longer improving, the manufacturers are just removing buttons from the cabin and putting cheap Chinese tablets instead and putting new dlr and led lights. I don't think there is a car in the C segment that does anything better than the MK5.

So what do you guys think about this, do you share my opinion? If not, explain why.