Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'm in need of some help please.
    One of my friends has a 2005 beetle cabriolet. The car had been parked up out of use for about 18 months, and, when he took it for MOT a couple of months back, he couldn't open the boot lid.
    When the MOT was done, the boot lid opened, and it passed the test, but the boot lid hasn't worked since.
    A couple of weeks ago, he came to pick me up to go to an appointment, and the passenger door would not open. So, on Wednesday, I stripped out the wiring between the drivers door & body, to find four of the tiny wires broken, and one of the bigger wires on the point of breaking.
    After soldering in new wires and reconnecting the door loom, I now have a working boot lid, but the passenger door still doesn't work. I am going back on Monday to recheck the drivers door loom and make sure I haven't missed another broken wire (although I'm pretty sure I haven't).
    It appears that the passenger door lock may have gone faulty (or the passenger door loom also has broken wires), if this is the case can anyone tell me how to get the door open (there is no keyhole on the nearside door handle to unlock it manually).
    Sorry for the long post, but I think the full story is needed.

0 0 0

2. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    See if my suggestions to another poster help: Door Woes

0 0 0

3. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thank you for that, some helpful reading there.
    I spoke to a local garage proprietor yesterday afternoon, and, from what he said, this is a more common problem than I realised. I did get a few tips from him for opening the door, so I will be trying again on Monday.

0 0 0

4. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Just to complete the thread, I managed to undo the three screws holding the bottom of the door card to the door, and managed to gently lift the door card out of the top rubber moulding and pull the card back against the seat (breaking a couple of the plastic buttons).
    I was then able to lever the top rubber moulding up out of the way, and, with the window fully down, was able to get a long screwdiver onto the door lock and, using a hammer, was able to smash the plastic part of the lock until I could release the latch and open the door.
    As an aside, I rang my local TPS, who quoted £180 + VAT for a lock. I checked eBay, and got a copy for circa £18 delivered, and 10 door card buttons for £3.99. I know the lock is probably a Chinese copy, but it is working perfectly (it's a 15 year old car & the owner is 78 years old, so it will probably see his ownership out).

0 0 0

5. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Ah good. Working from the top was one of the ideas I mentioned here: Golf Mark 6 - Passenger Door Rear and Front Not Unlocking from Inside or Outside.

0 0 0

6. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan G H View Post
    Just to complete the thread, I managed to undo the three screws holding the bottom of the door card to the door, and managed to gently lift the door card out of the top rubber moulding and pull the card back against the seat (breaking a couple of the plastic buttons).
    I was then able to lever the top rubber moulding up out of the way, and, with the window fully down, was able to get a long screwdiver onto the door lock and, using a hammer, was able to smash the plastic part of the lock until I could release the latch and open the door.
    As an aside, I rang my local TPS, who quoted £180 + VAT for a lock. I checked eBay, and got a copy for circa £18 delivered, and 10 door card buttons for £3.99. I know the lock is probably a Chinese copy, but it is working perfectly (it's a 15 year old car & the owner is 78 years old, so it will probably see his ownership out).
    Thankyou for this. My wife’s beetle has exactly the same problem - the passenger door is deadlocked. I think there may be damaged wires in the door harness as the wing mirror won’t operate either but I don’t know of any other way to open the door to even look at the harness. Every other solution I’ve seen to opening this door on the net is pretty destructive.

0 0 0

7. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    Thankyou for this. My wife’s beetle has exactly the same problem - the passenger door is deadlocked. I think there may be damaged wires in the door harness as the wing mirror won’t operate either but I don’t know of any other way to open the door to even look at the harness. Every other solution I’ve seen to opening this door on the net is pretty destructive.
    This was still pretty destructive, the lock was damaged beyond repair! However, the replacement was cheap enough.
    However, I did manage to get it open without damaging anything else.
    Also, this was a cabriolet, so I didn't have a top door frame & roof in the way!
    Good luck!

0 0 0

8. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The cabrio seems to be much more prone to door harness fracture issues, I have just rebuilt one and it was very tight work.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The car is a 2005 cabrio so I’m in the same boat I guess. I know it’s destructive but I’m just worried about how much damage I’ll do on top of anything else. Plus I don’t know what’s causing the actual problem. I’d hate to fit a replacement lock & find it’s a wiring issue & I’m back to square one when it’s fitted!

0 0 0

10. Re: Beetle cabriolet passenger door will not open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    The car is a 2005 cabrio so I’m in the same boat I guess. I know it’s destructive but I’m just worried about how much damage I’ll do on top of anything else. Plus I don’t know what’s causing the actual problem. I’d hate to fit a replacement lock & find it’s a wiring issue & I’m back to square one when it’s fitted!
    What I always do to test the lock after I have worked on one is leave the door open, and close the lock by moving the catch with a phillips screwdriver.
    I can then ensure the lock will work many times before I actually shut the door (the point of no return)!
    Ultimately, you have to get the door open somehow to get at the wiring. The top of the lock mechanism is made of plastic, so breaks reasonably easily. If you look at the pictures of a lock on eBay, you will see what I mean. This is the lock I used: VW NEW BEETLE DOOR LOCK FRONT LEFT PASSENGER SIDE 1998>on *NEW* 8 PIN UK STOCK | eBay
    Other than breaking the actual lock, I don't think I did any more damage (but did break a few door card buttons).

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast