Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Fault finding routine for central locking.

1. Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Using the key fob to open the central locking works intermittently and I have absolutely no idea on how to fault check it to track down the problem.

When I open the driver’s door using the key then no other door will unlock until I turn the ignition on (don’t know if this is normal or not).

I suppose that the first thing is to put a new battery in the key fob?

The car is old but good but and is not worth the cost of paying a mechanic to sort this out. Either I need to be able to fix it or I will ‘live with it’.

I recollect, from a similar problem on a previous car, that you can get the key fob tested to confirm it is sending a signal?

0 0 0

2. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It needs the central convenience system scanning for fault codes, print the codes and clear. Then go around the car and operate everything to do with the convenience system and read the codes again. Compare what comes back with the original and solve the repeat codes. Usually you will find the convenience unit under the passengers carpet full of water.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Fob remote doesn't work on our Touran. IIRC it was a VCDS option to set key turn to unlock all doors. And another one to not sound alarm if that is troubling you.

0 0 0

4. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    BTW, our other fob works fine, so it is fob not car in our case. There is a small red light on our fobs. Does yours have tgat lighting up?

0 0 0

5. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The Fob works some of the time. The hazards flash and stay on (sometimes) if I use the key to unlock the driver’s door (cancelled by turning on the ignition).

I am assuming that some/all of the alarm system has been disabled in the past due to lack of loud noises when this happens. Don’t know about an immobiliser.

A bit more study needed.

0 0 0

6. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    There is no light on my fob. The fob does work some times.

0 0 0

7. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    My carpets are dry (now) as I have unblocked the battery tray drains.

0 0 0

8. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I drive a proper VAG car, a Skoda... My job is working on VAG cars. If you had a blocked plenum water ingress problem, the convenience unit will be drenched and the wiring possibly corroded, the insulation is about 10cm thick. Recently we had to scrap our loan car A4 as the side impact sensor was water damaged and the part is obsolete, a customer loan car with bodged air bags would not be good for us in an accident. This is an A6 but it is the same job, the water can be a centimeter deep when you lift the carpet up.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Fault finding routine for central locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I drive a proper VAG car, a Skoda... My job is working on VAG cars. If you had a blocked plenum water ingress problem, the convenience unit will be drenched and the wiring possibly corroded, the insulation is about 10cm thick. Recently we had to scrap our loan car A4 as the side impact sensor was water damaged and the part is obsolete, a customer loan car with bodged air bags would not be good for us in an accident. This is an A6 but it is the same job, the water can be a centimeter deep when you lift the carpet up.

Yikes! I might load all my Scuba diving kit into my car 'just in case'.

0 0 0