Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all
    It's been a while, mainly because the old girl has behaved herself, just clicked over 175000 miles, went through mot no problems.
    However i was taking mrs nutter shopping, unlocked car and got in, mrs nutter just stood by door (Hyasinth Bucket-esque) passenger front door locked, tried locking/unlocking several times to no avail so mrs nutter had to get in back off we went Uber style. That was a week ago, door still wont open, today took door card off (not easy with door closed but doable) and after much swearing the metal carrier, got the electrical plug off and put multimeter on it, getting power, think the lock module has given up. So a simple question, how do i get the door lock module off with door closed or can i manually unlock door.
    I know door locks are a common problem and have searched for answers but cant find any

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I've been fixing exactly this on out Touran this weekend. It started playing up a few weeks ago, where a few clicks of the driver "lock / unlock all doors" button was needed to get it to release. But it then got to the point that "a few" became 20. Luckily that meant I could get the door open this w/e to work on it, and I think a bit of flat-palm beating on the inner door as I exercised the lock / unlock might have helped. The Touran card has a couple of hidden screws at the bottom and is lift to remove, so very destructive if unable to open it I think.

So having replaced it with a same code used part from an Octavia on eBay I now have the defective 3D2 837 015K lock module in front of me to describe how it works. A quick online lookup shows yours as 3B2 837 015B/CA/AK depending on year, and on eBay they look pretty similar (although I think mine is Golf 5 era and yours is Golf 4).

Not sure if we can post eBay links, but if you look at picture 3 on item 401664686620 (just put it in the search box) you'll see a mucky white / pale grey (it was red then blue on my original / replacement respectively) pivoting piece of plastic to the left, and a metal "hammer" shaped piece to its right. If you rotate this image 90-deg clockwise it is how the lock is orientated in the door looking from the inside, as you can probably tell based on where the electrical connection is.

On the one I can now play with the piece of plastic has to be in the same "anti-clockwise" position as in that picture for the outside and inside handles to release the door. If it is moved to its clockwise position the outer handle is disengaged. A first pull on the inner handle should be able to release the deadlock but I guess that is what fails. Maybe with the door skin off you can figure out why this isn't working? If not then with a skewer, coat hanger, bit of stiff wire, etc see if you can push the top edge of that plastic and knock into its anti-clockwise position. On the one in front of me its more of a "lazy turn" than hard click, so hopefully will be quite easy. Then try inner / outer door handles.

If it the same as the Touran you can't remove the lock with the door closed as there are two chunky screws through the bit that's hidden.

1 1 0

3. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks VAG-Abound
    Quite detailed response, with the module in your hand dose the plastic part stay in the position you put it or try to return to a set position.
    Late now so will have wait till daylight tomorrow to have a look
    Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    The plastic part has two positions that it will rest in, with a low-tension spring tending to keep it at each end of travel. What I think is the motor drive for the central locking can be felt as you push and this effectively provides friction to keep it at any position, but preferring to go back to an end. Not much force is needed. I have an empty cup on the desk in front of me and its weight is about right. If you can get to it with said pointy thing it should be a doddle to move.

0 0 0

5. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks mate
    Do you think if i disconnect the power to the actuator and move the plastic thinggy it will release the dead lock,
    ive read the only way to resolve this is to smash the actuator to bits or drill a hole on the inside of the door, if this works it will save alot of hassle
    Cheers
    Last edited by crunchynutter; 29-07-2021 at 07:24 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    With my "spare one" I can push a round rod (eg screwdriver blade, mimicking the hook / stable the door latches onto) in the actual latch to make it do the same as when the door is closed. Then play with the plastic, inside / outside lever points, etc and it pops open. Can't see why it wouldn't do the same for you.

Not even sure you'd need to remove the power. When installed and working the one-two pull on the inner door to release deadlock and then open door is purely mechnanical. Pushing the plastic is just like first push. If you feel a need to remove power I'd pull fuse (no idea which one ) or take +ve off of battery. Far easier than fiddling in a blind door to relase a VW joint.

0 0 0

7. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That sounds like a solution, could it really be that easy. I was going to remove power because maybe the "lock" side of the actuator still works hence it wont unlock and the "unlock" side has died removing power essentially means I have fitted to my car what you have in your hand I have ordered a second hand one from a car same year and spec as mine so should get one hopefully with same part number.
    Thanks for all your help I will let you know how I get on

0 0 0

8. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds like you'll get there one way or another. Take a look at the driver's door to see what screw heads you'll need to work with.

Mine was a T20-ish one under a rubber grommet which releases the door lock cylinder (or blank in its place as on Touran) so you can release the handle to lock cable.

Then a largish spline / 3square bit that was for the lock screws. Be a shame to get there and find you can't undo them. There's a set of 5 half-decent spline bits from Laser in the market for £10 or so if you need something as a one-off, or a bigger set for £25-ish with short and long hex, torx plus spline bits that has proved useful to me. Got mine from ScrewFix or Toolstation.

1 0 0

9. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Cheers
    will have a look in my toolbox for the torx bits, know i have some somewhere
    may have to wait till w/end weather & work permitting
    Thanks
    Last edited by crunchynutter; 29-07-2021 at 07:24 PM.

0 0 0

10. Re: Door Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchynutter View Post
    Cheers
    will have a look in my toolbox for the torx bits, know i have some somewhere
    may have to wait till w/end weather & work permitting
    Thanks
    Eamonn
    Just to repeat myself in case needed: and maybe spline bits, aka triple-square as they have 12 points like three squares stacked and offset from each other.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast