Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi,

Thought I’d post a review for anyone who wants to change from a C6 to a B9 A4.

So I had, well still have my C6 2.7 tdi pre facelift. It’s been great however the recent multitude of problems has forced me to leave it for another. I’ve upgraded to a B9 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro S line

So the A4, well, the technology is fantastically futuristic. The virtual cockpit looks and feels amazing, the functionality however is about the same as the Audi’s with the large colour display in the middle of the dash, such as the C7 A6 but the wow factor of the virtual cockpit is second to none.

I’ve always read reviews about how the B9 A4 is super quiet, quiet as an A8 etc. I was expecting more from it, my C6 A6 is about as quiet, if not a tad quieter than the B9 A4 in slow moving traffic. My A4 has the acoustic glass all around, I can see the thickness of the glass is the same as the C6. The A4 is good at suppressing low frequency noise like a bus going past but conversation or music from other cars can be heard. Once on the motorway they are about the same, perhaps the tyre roar is a tiny bit less in the B9 A4. However the B9 is certainly more refined than a B7 or B8 A4 both of which I’ve been driven in.

Comfort wise, the A4 has a superior ride than the C6. My C6 A6 has the S line (30mm lower) suspension and it is jarring, for comparison it is comparable to a Honda Civic type R in low speed but it does even out at higher speed, ultimately it’s still very hard. The A4 has the lower adaptive sport suspension(20mm Or so lower). The balance is just right it’s well damped over undulations, potholes and sleeping policemen, but firm enough not to constantly wallow about. It is also aesthetically pleasing compared to the jacked up comfort suspension. I drove an A4 with the even lower still S line suspension (23mm lower) that was also stiff/tight but well damped So it wasn’t as jarring like the C6. Ride comfort is subjective, it does depend on what car you’ve driven before, so if your coming from a hatchback or those grotesque mini SUV’s you will find it comfortable. The C6 feels much heavier and boat like compared to the B9 which is more nimble but affected by side winds and inconsistencies in the tarmac. I’d also like to point out I have daily access to an E class 2016+ with the air suspension which is extremely comfortable and trumps every Audi I’ve sat in, it’s in a different league.

I would recommend the B&O. The sound quality of B&O is about the same as the standard setup in the C6, the standard setup in the A4 is flat and rubbish. Again, it’s subjective to what you’ve had before but believe me it should be better than a car that came out 16 years ago. The ambient lighting is a must, the car doesn’t seem the same at night without, It just makes you feel like your driving something new.

The 20tdi engine in 190 guise is quick enough, I’ve tested both the 3.0 tdi in 218PS and the 2.0 tdi in 190 ps. Personally I would stick with the 2.0 tdi as the power feels about the same in most situations and its almost as refined as the 3.0 tdi. The C6 2.7 is probably about as fast as the 2.0 190 but the S tronic box is what helps even the gap.

Quattro is a must, I think it’s a bit silly buying an Audi without quattro, otherwise you may aswell get a BMW or Mercedes or else you’ll forever be thinking should have bought a quattro every time you move off from a standstill in a hurry and the front tyres give you a fit.

S tronic box is good I’m sure everyone has had a chance to use one now, super smooth and refined at speed, jerky and unrefined at low speed. 1500rpm at 70mph, 2000 or so at 90mph.

The A4 B9 has matrix lights, they are absolutely needed on unlit A/B roads, the come with dynamic front indicators which look great. Most Uk drivers aren’t used to the matrix lights, they think your high beams are on without you knowing and flash you with thier high beams to try letting you know. It’s really annoying as you doubt whether the matrix lights are blinding them, but they don’t.

The B9 is smaller than the C6, they might look similar sized outside but the C6 has probably about a fist or two more leg room in the back, and with the C6 it was a struggle to rest my arm on the door arm rest, while the B9 its easily reached I’m 5ft 11. The C6 has better seats, they were bigger and more plush. The visibility is much better on the B9 especially due to the side mirror being attached to the door below the window line. The whole dashboard and window line just seems lower. I wouldn’t bother with mirror tilt on reverse or fold in mirrors, you can’t see the wheel while parking near a kerb so it’s useless.

Edit after a year: Mpg on a 2.0 TDi Quattro is 37 city, 45-50 combined, 57 sitting at 65 on a long run. Max out of a tank was 630 miles from 51 litres (Edinburgh and back)
    Last edited by smaugc6; 05-09-2020 at 05:48 PM.

0 1 0

2. Re: New Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So I have properly tested the noise isolation of the C6 A6 and the B9 A4 and the C6 A6 certainly has better noise isolation from passing by cars and vans. The ride is quieter in the C6 A6 driving through the city, mostly due to the quieter V6 engine and less noise coming through the rear of the car. On the motorway the B9 A4 is quieter but entirely due to the tyre roar sounding quieter. The C6 A6 is wearing Barum tyres which are hard and noisy whereas the B9 A4 is wearing Pirelli’s so I suppose that’s what makes up for the results.
    Last edited by smaugc6; 05-09-2020 at 05:56 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: New Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm about to move from a 2016 A6 C7 Black Edition to an A4 B9 Black Edition, so useful to read this. Just out of interest is your A4 a 2020MY?
    2020 B9 A4 Avant Black Edition S Tronic
    2016 FL C7 A6 Avant Ultra Black Edition S Tronic | 2015 FL C7 A6 Avant Ultra Black Edition - S Tronic
    2012 B7 A4 Avant SLine |2008 B7 A4 Avant Sline | 2008 VW Golf PD150 GTI | 2007 VW Golf PD150 GTI
    2004 B6 A4 Avant Sport | 2000 A3 1.8T Sport | 1983 VW Golf GTX

0 0 0

4. Re: New Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi nope mine is the mini facelift they did before they decided to facelift it again a year or two later, I got it at a ridiculously good price. I think the new Audi my2020 gets all the toys as standard but I needed a swivel wheel.

0 0 0

5. Re: New Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by smaugc6; 30-01-2020 at 03:54 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: New Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I’ve done about 2.5 tanks worth of driving in the car. MPG is 49 average brim to brim. From a tank it usually takes 48 litres from the red zone, and does over 500 miles on the 48 litres of fuel. My journeys are usually mostly motorway with some city driving. My latest tank included 60 50 or more miles of Birmingham city driving, engine cold. Trip to London there and back 270 miles, of which probably 5 were inner city London driving. Trip to Luton and back 180 miles of which also 5 were inner city Luton. Usually stick to a real 70mph.

0 0 0