Hi all

Could someone help me find the engine number on the actual *block* please? I need to double check that the actual engine in the car matches the code on the stickers etc.

I've found numerous references to it being stamped on the block at the joint between the block and gearbox, but I can't see anything there. Timing belt cover sticker has long worn away and is unreadable (plus nothing to say that hasn't been replaced itself).

Long story - gone to replace timing belt. Got the right belt kit etc (triple checked with factors using VIN and engine numbers etc). Kit turns out to be wrong - I have a hydraulic damper/tensioner, and the kit I've got contains neither the right pullley nor does it include the hydraulic dampener.
According the the factors' and lots of research, the tensioner design changed (from the hydraulic set up to the "sprung" tensioner I think?) after ASZ engine number 115 000 - mine is 122500 according to VIN data, but this obvs doesn't match the set up on the engine.

So, I'm now wondering whether at some point in the past (before my ownership) somebody swapped the engine... Which means I need to find physical marks on the block. Somehow.

Help? Please?

Jeroen