Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy,

My complaint would be then, why make the distinction between the two models, S6/7 standard or Black edition coming with the Audi Parking System Plus and the Vorsprung with the Parking Assistance Pack?

Can I ask where you got this information from just so I can mention it to Audi Customer Services when they contact me next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Hi Gwyn, this could be a long response.. bear with me

So, the distinction is correct. The Standard or Black edition S6 or S7 (or A6 or A7 - it doesn't matter) does not come with 360 Degree Cameras. Go to "Build your Audi" and pick the Standard S7 and try to add 360 cameras, its not even there. The Standard or Black Edition S6/S7 come with the single standard rear camera (called "Type 2") which is the single camera in the boot handle.

The Vorsprung model however comes with 360 Environment Cameras.

Here, I've even done a comparision from the Audi.co.uk Build website. On the left is a standard S7. Self Parking and Single Rear View Camera (Type 2) is supported. On the right an S7 Vorsprung. Here 360 Cameras and Park Assistance Pack (which is just audible and visual parking on the MMI) is available, but no option for "Parking System Plus" (Self Parking).

S7Vorsprung.jpg

Why is this? Its because of my earlier point. The Parking Sensors and 360 Camera system is now integrated in a single box in the car, in the previous version of the car (like the pre-facelift Q7 4M) the 360 Cameras and Parking Sensors were separate units, so both could live happily together. Now Audi have combined them to connect into a single box its not possible.

If you want to further check this, go to Audi Germany website and Build an Audi (where you have much more freedom over "option choice"). Choose a standard S7 and choose "Parking Assistant" (Self-Parking). You will see that 360 Cameras is then not available. Why? Because the box they all connect to doesn't support that combination.

Heck, I've just done it and screenshotted it for you.... See below

S7Vorsprungde.jpg

How do I know this? Its in internal Audi Technical documentation that only technicians would know about if they have been on training. Audi Customer Services or a Dealer is not going to know this level of detail, its just a fact of life unfortunately. I'm telling you because I do a lot of retrofits into 2015+ Audi's and I know this stuff back to front.

While I can't share the documentation with you, here is the golden snippet from the document that confirms all my points above. Its from the new A8 4N but its the same control unit in the A6/A7/S6/S7 latest models too.

aaaa.jpg

Until Audi update their control units to support 360 Cameras and Self Parking again, you dont really have a choice. Dealers have no choice either so you can't have a go at them. Either wait until its possible (which I'm sure it will be in time), or sacrifice Self-Parking for the benefit of 360 Cameras.

Unfortunately until they sort this, you can't have your cake and eat it.

I hope this clarifies everything and gives you and anyone else all the information you need.

Thanks

Andy
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 2 0

3. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy! That was incredibly informative, well researched and descriptive!

So, I guess the problem is Audi and their product descriptions. Like I said, they did confirm to me that the definition of the Parking Assistance Pack did contain Park Assist and

If the issue is that the control unit doesn’t support it currently, is this potentially just a code update or a hardware restriction where the box just can’t support it due to a lack of memory or processor power?

If it’s the latter, I hate to think what is going to happen when they try to release the AI functions like Remote Parking.

I’ll wait and see what they come back to me with now but they’re already talking about compensation so they know they’re misleading customers I think. I’ll take a new RS7 Vorsprung thank you very much

I did see this in the Swansea Audi Centre which has just arrived today...

0 1 0

4. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Morning Gwyn

No worries, it annoyed me to when I was looking at the Q7 4M facelift and as they (Audi) start to standardised all the parts in their models across the board you see this could become more common across variants.

Yes, your right, for me this is just a software/firmware issue on that control unit + whatever coding is needed on the car to light up those 2 features (360 Cameras + Self Parking) simultaneously. The training documentation does actually state that if you order 360 cameras on your car you have the "highest" version of that control unit, the all-singing-all-dancing one, and they "plan" on future updates to make it more capable but it gives no idea or reference to timelines. It just says "in the future".

Again, Audi CS or a dealer will not know this and if they do, I'll eat my hat, but maybe a Master Technician at a dealer who has recently done the training may know.. but certainly not anyone on the shop floor. You know as well as I do most of the time the customer knows more about the cars than they do.

And again, for complete clarity for anyone else

• Parking Assistance Park = Front and Rear Parking Sensors (8 sensors in total) and audible and visual indicators on the MMI screen when parking. (If you have a rear view camera or 360 cameras then that aids you too when manually parking etc). "Parking Assistance Pack" is NOT self-parking.
    • Park Assist (aka Parking System Plus) = Front and Rear and Side Parking Sensors (12 sensors in total) and audible and visual indicators on the MMI screen when parking. (If you have rear view camera then that aids you too when manually parking etc). "Park Assist" also provides Self Parking into and out of Parallel Parking Spaces and forward and reverse parking into perpendicular parking spaces.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Cheers

Andy
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

5. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy, what also winds me up about this is the fact I have the 12 sensors too!

I’m hoping to get a call this week. I will definitely update everyone here.

0 0 0

6. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Hi Gwyn

Yes, if you have ordered 360 Cameras you have the "highest" control unit (Version "C") and the training documentation even says and shows all 12 parking sensors are fitted, but the actual "function" of park assist is not there.

So yes, you have all the hardware in the car and all wired into the right places. Its just the "brain" does not support both those functions simultaneously.... Yet

My gut tells me in 6 months or so they will release an update (potentially free, potentially you have to pay for) that will light up Park Assist when they figure out the software updates needed to make both Park Assist and 360 Cameras work together. You do NOT need any additional hardware to make it work.

1 2 0

7. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Andy’s comprehensive detail confirmed my understanding on park assist however Audi have just put up the new S5 sport back on the configurator and I was just messing around but found that you can have both 360 camera and park assist as standard on the Vorsprung model and the description is clear and comprehensive on both which given Andy’s thoughts for the future would suggest the software has been developed. Hope you find this useful.

1 1 0

8. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS6 View Post
    Andy’s comprehensive detail confirmed my understanding on park assist however Audi have just put up the new S5 sport back on the configurator and I was just messing around but found that you can have both 360 camera and park assist as standard on the Vorsprung model and the description is clear and comprehensive on both which given Andy’s thoughts for the future would suggest the software has been developed. Hope you find this useful.
    Thanks for Sharing John. Good info to know.

Andy.

0 0 0

9. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks @JohnS6 and @andyhud007! Perhaps there’s hope for me yet!

0 0 0

10. Re: Any A6/S6 Vorsprung Edition owners here? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhud007 View Post
    Hi Gwyn, this could be a long response.. bear with me

So, the distinction is correct. The Standard or Black edition S6 or S7 (or A6 or A7 - it doesn't matter) does not come with 360 Degree Cameras. Go to "Build your Audi" and pick the Standard S7 and try to add 360 cameras, its not even there. The Standard or Black Edition S6/S7 come with the single standard rear camera (called "Type 2") which is the single camera in the boot handle.

The Vorsprung model however comes with 360 Environment Cameras.

Here, I've even done a comparision from the Audi.co.uk Build website. On the left is a standard S7. Self Parking and Single Rear View Camera (Type 2) is supported. On the right an S7 Vorsprung. Here 360 Cameras and Park Assistance Pack (which is just audible and visual parking on the MMI) is available, but no option for "Parking System Plus" (Self Parking).

S7Vorsprung.jpg

Why is this? Its because of my earlier point. The Parking Sensors and 360 Camera system is now integrated in a single box in the car, in the previous version of the car (like the pre-facelift Q7 4M) the 360 Cameras and Parking Sensors were separate units, so both could live happily together. Now Audi have combined them to connect into a single box its not possible.

If you want to further check this, go to Audi Germany website and Build an Audi (where you have much more freedom over "option choice"). Choose a standard S7 and choose "Parking Assistant" (Self-Parking). You will see that 360 Cameras is then not available. Why? Because the box they all connect to doesn't support that combination.

Heck, I've just done it and screenshotted it for you.... See below

S7Vorsprungde.jpg

How do I know this? Its in internal Audi Technical documentation that only technicians would know about if they have been on training. Audi Customer Services or a Dealer is not going to know this level of detail, its just a fact of life unfortunately. I'm telling you because I do a lot of retrofits into 2015+ Audi's and I know this stuff back to front.

While I can't share the documentation with you, here is the golden snippet from the document that confirms all my points above. Its from the new A8 4N but its the same control unit in the A6/A7/S6/S7 latest models too.

aaaa.jpg

Until Audi update their control units to support 360 Cameras and Self Parking again, you dont really have a choice. Dealers have no choice either so you can't have a go at them. Either wait until its possible (which I'm sure it will be in time), or sacrifice Self-Parking for the benefit of 360 Cameras.

Unfortunately until they sort this, you can't have your cake and eat it.

I hope this clarifies everything and gives you and anyone else all the information you need.

Thanks

Andy
    Andy,

I am not 100% sure this is correct. On youtube you can see Audis with 360 camera but autonomous driving .. It cannot display both but both are working. So if you use the automated parking it disables the 360 degree .. In fact, spec out the MY2020 S5 and you can see on the spec list both - 360 Camera (KA6) and Autonomous Parking (7X5) instead of just PCX ... So it doesn't add up !

Edit: Ok, noticed it was brought up already - sorry ... Bloody inconsistencies with Audi ...

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast