Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Considering moving on...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Considering moving on... 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    As above, I am looking to change cars in the spring so am looking around now.
    Sadly I'm ruling out another A6 as I do not like the interior of the new model (touchscreens and fingerprints would do my head in) and I'm non-plussed with the exterior styling.
    Volvo is out as I really didn't like the V60 I was in a couple of days ago so I'm really down to Merc and BMW.

So my shopping list has been narrowed down to an E220d Premium Plus AMG or a 520/530 M Sport with a few options such as memory seats. I'll be looking at 6-12 months old with a budget of around £30k.
    The point of my post? Is there anyone on here who has experience of either car they can share please as it's always good to get people's feedback on reliability, dealers etc.
    Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Friends of mine just got out of their lease with a E220, absolutely hated it, not what they thought it would be at all. I have to admit I didn't like it too much either, I hate to say it, I really do but the BMW is the better car by along way. In my opinion. Totally agree about the new A6 by the way. Almost went for a Volvo S90 but again, touch screens. Sigh.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

3. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Friend of mine just traded in an E350D he had for only 12 months, couldn't gel with it, nice car but plagued with oil leaks and snapped springs. He has just bought a Hyundai Sante Fe instead.

I would go with the BMW in your shoes, or even the likes of the Jaguar.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

4. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Well, here's a vote for the other side. I had an A6 Ultra in the UK, and switched to a Mercedes E class when I moved to the USA. Mine is an AMG E53, so just a smidge quicker than an E220d, but I imagine the interiors are very similar. I'm loving it so far!

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

5. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Surely admitting you drive a 2 litre diesel amg would be a tad embarrassing?
    Next thing you know the zero will have fallen off, that is a merc amg joke btw

I think if you are going to go mundane just get a mondeo and be done with it and save a wedge of money as well.
    Mate has a new one every two years and literally does nothing to it in that time and I mean nothing.

0 0 0

6. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    I visited 2 Mercedes dealers over the last few days, I might have well have not existed. Despite asking to see an E class and sitting in one faffing about with buttons, seats, opening boot etc, not once was I approached and asked if I needed any assistance. Both dealerships were empty, I was the only person in there.
    Filled out an online form to get a BMW brochure and got a call asking if there was anything they could help with within 48 hours, that's a good start.
    BTW, I've had 2 Mondeo estates, a ST diesel and a Titanium X Sport 2.2, both very good cars.

0 0 0

7. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I have heard similair stories concerning most makes of car dealers ie the being ignored bit, to me any salesman worth his salt would be eyeing you up and thinking potential bonus.
    I have heard that lots of main car dealers are struggling and one a bmw dealer had so little work for the workshop they let one guy go, so you might have some bargaining power there!

0 0 0

8. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Had a e220 as a loan car for a few months.
    The 220 Diesel engine is rough when cold and worked hard. It’s fine when cruising on motorways but around town it annoyed me. I would get a bigger engine.
    Other than that it’s was a nice place to be. Comfy, nice stereo sound and the dual screens are nice. That touch pad thing takes a bit getting used to. Prefer the Audi big knob.
    A premium plus would have you all the gadgets and lights.
    Not had a great deal with the 5 series other than a quick drive. My mate has one. Think they still come with run flat tyres which I found the ride were a bit trashy with big wheels.
    Hope this helps.

0 0 0

9. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Thanks pal, appreciate the first hand experience.

0 0 0

10. Re: Considering moving on... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Yeah, those damn run flats make it very harsh on anything but a billiard table. Still, nice cars, more of a modern vibe than the Merc. I'm actually veering to wards an XC60, despite that screen.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast