Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

Is there any way I can check when my DPF regenerates?

Is the process active or passive (or both)?

I've been told to keep my revs above 15000 where possible. My work commute is 15 miles each way and I do a longer journey once per week. I've been told that to regen, I need to be in at least 4th gear going above 40 mph for at least 20 minutes. Is this accurate?

I wondered if anyone had any tips for keeping this and my 2.0 TDI engine in good working order (oil and filter service is a given).

0 0 0

2. Re: DPF Tips? 2016 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,
    Best advice is get yourself a very clever bit of kit called PolarFis from AutoPolar, very very easy to fit, unplug your CaN controller plug in extension supplied to the Polar Fis, then plug your CaN plug into that, job jobbed.
    Have got one in Project Eos (2.0tdi with DPF, 2007) and one in my Caddy (1.6tdi with DPF, 2014) and they give you everything, absolutely loads of info, you can pick out what you want on totally customisable screens, currently have one screen just for DPF info, total saturation, percentage blocked/full, internal temp, external temp, etc etc, you’ll know when your going for a re-gen as the temp goes up to around 850°c and when it’s burning it out you’ll see the percentage full dropping, it’s brilliant.
    Works on loads of VAG group types, have a quick google for the name,
    If you need more tips on DPF care and management just shout, I’m and independent auto spark and I’m getting more and more troubles with these things, mainly down to incorrect use and ******** not explaining how best to treat them.
    And before you ask, no I do not agree with any of those cleaning companies or additives all they do is block a couple of key things and make it a whole lot worse, best advice, RTFM!
    Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: DPF Tips? 2016 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We have an A5 V6 in and we sent the heavily blocked DPF to DPF Clean Team and after they had cleaned it they could see someone had tried a forced regen and had cheated the learnt values so the system thought it was not blocked (no I won’t say how) so the ECU went into regen and melted a small patch of the oxidisation catalyst ahead of the DPF which was not visible until cleaned, it got so hot the casing had started to melt! There is a warning about this on the VAG systems where it states that if you do this “the vehicle may burn down”, to have got a low grade stainless steel that hot it must have been glowing white!
    Last edited by Crasher; 24-11-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: DPF Tips? 2016 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks but how does this apply to my question?

0 0 0

5. Re: DPF Tips? 2016 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Hi, the signs the car is in regen is if the start stop isn't working, it holds revs a bit higher than normal and if you stop the fan is going and you feel hot air -you may not notice any of these. If you are doing 1 long journey a week that should keep it clean but if you are worried, run it at higher revs occasionally - you don't need to be above 15000 (don't think it will go that high!!). Seems to be recommended above 2000 rpm for 15mins.

If you know someone with VCDS they can scan car and see the soot loading % in the DPF.

Do more frequent oil changes than the long life at 19,000 miles. I change mine at half that.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0