Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf MK5 starts and shuts off instantly?

1. Golf MK5 starts and shuts off instantly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi

Please if anyone can guide me im puzzled with this car. I have a golf mk5 1.9 2005 I bought as a trade car thinking I could fix it as I assumed it needed a new ECU however this is not the case. The car will start but turn of instantly as if the immobiliser kicks in. There are no dash board lights when turning the ignition on except the MFD display which works (I can change the time).

I have already replaced the following:

ECU
    Clocks
    Body control module

Is there anything else I could look at or replace related to car starting but turning off instantly?

Thank you!

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MK5 starts and shuts off instantly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hussnainh8 View Post
    Hi

Please if anyone can guide me im puzzled with this car. I have a golf mk5 1.9 2005 I bought as a trade car thinking I could fix it as I assumed it needed a new ECU however this is not the case. The car will start but turn of instantly as if the immobiliser kicks in. There are no dash board lights when turning the ignition on except the MFD display which works (I can change the time).

I have already replaced the following:

ECU
    Clocks
    Body control module

Is there anything else I could look at or replace related to car starting but turning off instantly?

Thank you!
    Sounds simple but have you tried resetting the immobiliser? MAF sensor could also be a possibility but strange that the cars not throwing out any OBD2 codes.

Paul

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MK5 starts and shuts off instantly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WxmDaggers View Post
    Sounds simple but have you tried resetting the immobiliser? MAF sensor could also be a possibility but strange that the cars not throwing out any OBD2 codes.

Paul

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    Hi,

The codes I am getting are these:

18058 - Powertrain Data Bus
    P1650 - 000 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster

18045 - Powertrain Data Bus
    P1637 - 000 - Missing Message from Electric Load Controller

02403- terminal 15 for interior
    012 - electrical fault in circuit

Seems like from researching it could be many things?

Thank you.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MK5 starts and shuts off instantly? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The first thing I think you should do if you haven't already is refit all the car's original parts. The instrument cluster and engine ECU are part of the immobilizer system so you can't just swap them from another car.

From what you describe I think the root cause of your problem is there is no ignition power supply to the instrument cluster. The cluster is the part that reads the transponder code from the ignition key. That isn't going to happen if the cluster isn't being supplied with power which I suspect is why the engine wont run. That probably ties in with the 02403 trouble code too. Have you checked to see if the instrument cluster fuse is blown? Have you checked the fuse with a voltmeter to see if it is being supplied with 12V while the ignition is switched on? I think fuse 6 on the dash fusebox is the one that supplies power to the cluster...see below.

Forum_Image.jpg

0 0 0