Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Map updates ( don’t be fooled! )

I purchased my car in January 2019 it was three years old ( still new to me )
    The navigation maps installed were still 2015. Apparently, the last owner never used the navigation so didn’t bother to update.

Whilst getting “My Audi” setup via Audi Digital Services UK, I enquired about these map updates. They told me that the five free updates still applied to the car and did not apply to the owner. Fair enough, so when I had “My Audi” set up I downloaded the latest 2018-2019 maps without any problem, and installed via SD card into the car.

My theory was that I could download a further four updates and I would do this annually. (Sounded Good to me anyway. ) Yesterday I Went on line to check on the latest maps only to get a message that my limit on updates had been reached!

Puzzled I contacted Audi Digital Services again and was told a completely different story .
    They now say that the free updates only apply for the first three years whether they are use or not. To further update my maps, I would have to contact a local dealer and buy a update.
    God knows how much they charge for that?

I have checked the original handbook and car brochures and can only find reference to five free updates. Nothing mentioning that these expire in three years , whether used or not. This seems a mean policy aimed mainly at the second or subsequent owners so they can be charged extortionate amounts of money for a simple map update that costs nothing in most cases when done to a after market device. Even my wife’s VW Tiguan which is now in its fifth year still gets free map updated from VW.

Being ripped off seems to be something we have to pay extra for when buying Audi !

1 1 0

2. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Sounds about right, Audi (Audi UK brand at least) there's no such thing as after sales support, once that sales complete its gotcha from Audi and thank you very much, won't be seeing you later from the sales guy...

I suppose you gotta milk that cow continuously....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    What I don’t get is why you now have to go to a dealer when previously it was over the air or via web download.

I think it cost me £50 extra to the connected services on my wife’s 13 plate X1 to download updated maps during the year.

I tend to use Audi satnav when not concerned about traffic and it’s somewhere I’ve been before, else it’s Waze on CarPlay.
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

4. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    It's always been the case that it's 5 updates from the time the vehicle was manufactured. The license controlling this is embedded into the cars MMI and the time ticks by regardless of if you actually perform an update.

Map updates come out every 6 months, so the 5 free updates is designed to last until the car is 3 years old.

0 0 0

5. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I can't see a legitimate for it be designed as such other than server the purpose an additional revenue stream..

Athough why any unused map update would time out in 3 years if NO update was ever carried out and literature misleads that 5 are allowed is beyond me, even under the guise of adminstrative maintenance costs.

For a car to remain properly functional with an update when increasingly every service becomes reliant on software updates and not to be able to to receive AFTER a standard 3 year term as part of the original purchase unless you PAY extra inflated sums simply screams manufacturers would rather sell you a new pile metal every 3 years as a normal way of doing business.

0 0 0

6. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I'm sure they would sooner sell you another 50k+ motor than a £300 sat nav update.

Suggest using CarPlay/AndroidAuto or seeking alternative map update stratergies.

0 1 0

7. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Yep.. perfect business model, spend 50k just to keep that sat nav model , consumer is winner and sucker at the same time.. as he's good no real consumer choice

0 0 0

8. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Called local Dealer
    Just been quoted £216 + !hr labour !! for installing new update.
    Told me I can't just buy the SD card and install myself.
    Although free updates could be downloaded and installed using my own SD card.
    I cannot find option on "My Audi " site to purchase further updates and download??

This is ludicrous !!!

0 0 0

9. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    The updates did not expire and there is no such thing as unused free updates, a better way to describe the service would be that you can keep your map up to date for three years... So thats roughly five updates.. e.g. for my 15 plate Q7: I get 2015/2016 map as the first map for the car, then I was able to upgrade to 16, 16/17, 17, 17/18, 18 when they became available.. but it did stop at v2018 at when the car was three years old, no matter if I upgrade as soon as a new version is out or just left it as old version... The 5 free upgrades Audi mentioned is confusing but I think that's what they meant..

0 0 0

10. Re: Navigation Updates ( don't be fooled! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazerati View Post
    Called local Dealer
    Just been quoted £216 + !hr labour !! for installing new update.
    Told me I can't just buy the SD card and install myself.
    Although free updates could be downloaded and installed using my own SD card.
    I cannot find option on "My Audi " site to purchase further updates and download??

This is ludicrous !!!
    The dealer is right in that you can't just buy the SD card and install yourself. Actually, the contents of the SD card are freely available online (directly from VAG servers). But your car will refuse to install until the license file is updated.

The dealers time is for the license update, they will connect car to there system, which will authenticate with servers in Germany and generate a new license and insert it into your MMI unit. They probably won't really understand what is going on, as it'll just be listed as a SVM (software version management) update.

And What's worse is that price you've been quoted will be for just a single update!!!!

Better to find alternative approach

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast