Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    hi all

im looking at buying an 80 cab so I need some advice.

I have had a few Audis but never an 80 and always Diesel engines so can you tell me is the 2.6 V6 petrol a fairly reliable engine?
    is there anything to look out for?
    also are there any issues with the manual or auto boxes?

any advice much appreciated.

cheers

vin

0 0 0

2. Re: I am going to buy an 80cab so I need some advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Hi ,Vin, I had the 2.6 v6 ENGINE CODE ABC in 4 coupes, 1 saloon quattro and 1 convertible.The ABC v6 is fantastically reliable, smooth, torquey and punchy, yet surprisingly economical for a 150 bhp v6 petrol unit.
    The auto was a 4 speed with sport mode, really smooth and responsive.
    Do all your usual checks and any checks relevant to the convertible roof , be it an auto electric or manually operated unit, there are plenty on here who can advise you on specifics.
    My convertible was a 97 5 speed, full leather with manual roof and the only thing I needed to address was the wiring looms which run through the boot shut/hinge area. Although the roof operation was the manual type there are still electric parts in the system, for example the central locking for the boot must work correctly because the system needs to know that the boot is closed properly before it will allow you open the roof and stow it all.
    There are a couple of sensors in the system which talk to eachother which can all be researched on here or the net generally.
    On the whole the cars ,saloon, coupe,avant and convertible are fantastic machines, said by many to be built when Audi was at the very top of their game, I think I would agree having owned so may Audis.
    If you decided to choose other engine derivatives in this model, there are
    1.8 petrol 4 cylinder
    2.0 pet 4 cyl
    2.3 pet 5 cyl
    2.6 pet v6
    2.8 pet v6
    Each have their merit , though many of us favour the ABC v6 and the 174 bhp 2.8 v6 which are just super smooth and frugal and a cracking machine to be in or look at with the roof open or closed
    Good luck Vin , remember with these cars if it looks right and feels right and everything adds up, you are generally safe, just do all your usual checks and enjoy searching out a cracker and dont get conned by " ooh its a classic sir" or lines about "its the same as Lady Di had" just study prices on the net and keep an eye on the forum for cars for sale by genuine enthusiasts whose cars are known and sorted by all
    Good luck

Stuart
    A6 2.4 SE (2000)S3 1.8T (2001)80 Coupe 2.3 (1991)
    A3 1.8T sport (1997)A4 3.0 QST (2002)
    80 Coupe 2.6S (1995)A4 Cab 2.4 sport (2002) Another 2.6 '95 coupe in byzanz purple
    '88 type 89 90 saloon kv 5 pot A4 1.8T 2001

0 0 0

3. Re: I am going to buy an 80cab so I need some advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hi Stuart

thanks for for the detailed reply . That's really helpful.
    i must admit that I do agree that the older cars were better built. My missus had a 99 A4 when I met her. We sold it for younger diesel A4s but none had the quality in the cab trim etc that the older car had.
    im off to check the classifieds ! please let me know if anyone is selling an 80 cab either a 2.6 or 2.8

i will I'll let you know how I get on

cheers

vin

0 0 0

4. Re: I am going to buy an 80cab so I need some advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hi Stuart

I looked at a few and decided on a hibiscus red car with a red roof . It is a 2.6 v6 a dove the 500 mile trip home with no issues other than overcooling which I hope to remedy with a new stat when I get the timing belt done.
    i has only done 74k with full service history .
    It needs a few minor bits of bodywork tidied up and a few other bits sorted . I will list them below if you can help at all with any of the issues.

it seems a bit heavy , steering braking and accelerator all a wee bit stiff not sure if this is normal .
    Bulbs gone in dash to show what auto gear it's in and also bulbs for gear selector .
    red roof is ******. I need a new one . Has anyone replaced one themself?
    electric aerial gone
    No interior lights
    Side trim ends missing or damaged
    crack in one rear light
    Headlights not great on dipped beam
    crack in rear bumper

any help on any of these issues would be great especially the heavy feel steering brakes etc

cheers

vin

0 0 0