Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi !

I got myself a Polo 04 plate (9N) 1.9 tdi sport in august (89k on the clock). It seemingly has been mechanically looked after, although aesthetically has quite a few scrapes and bumps (nothing life altering, just clearly been bumped into a few things in its past!)

I have a bit of an interesting problem regarding the remote central locking. While I can find similar (all be it not the same) issues reported before, there's a lot of unanswered/ dead threads with no report of any fixes I could try. Any advice is deeply appreciated.

---The Problem---
    Okay, so when I use the remote, everything unlocks and the alarm is disabled as you would expect! except, slowly over time, the drivers door has begun not responding. A few times at first, but now it has gotten bad enough it rarely unlocks as it should. Now all the other doors (boot included) never fail to unlock. Every door never fails to lock, I might add. Just the drivers door doesnt unlock with the remote.

key manually unlocking the door and unlock switch inside the door work 100%. Door switch indicating the door is open works 100% (interior lights, light and ignition alarm all work). You can hear the door mechanism 'whirring' but not necessarily opening.

What I have always thought was weird, is when using the remote the car has always sounded like the locks are responding twice. You can hear it lock, then try again (like I had pressed the button consecutively). This is the same with unlocking. I believe this to be a factory alarm and central locking as I have had to check the fuses for a previous issue and there's no apparent aftermarket wiring (someone used the wrong bulb in rear cluster causing odd dashlight issue but fixed now).

Before I start taking the door apart to look at this fabled door unit (notoriously problematic) am I missing anything obvious? I would assume if the remote won't open the door due to this unit failing inside, surely the electronic switch inside or even the manual lock would also not work?

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo 9n 5dr Remote Locking fault - drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had exact same symptoms on my 05 Polo (130k miles). After Googling and looking on Forums I decided to replace the drivers door locking mechanism. The cause was a worn micro switch in the mechanism (I confirmed this by dissecting the mechanism after I replaced it with a new one). The "responding twice" noise I think is normal, I get that.
    I discovered that the price difference between a new mechanism from VW (£130) and a supplier on Ebay (£25). was staggering! The Ebay unit I got is still working fine after a year - time will tell.
    There's loads about how to remove the mechanism on YouTube. If I did it, anyone can.

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo 9n 5dr Remote Locking fault - drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOILY View Post
    I had exact same symptoms on my 05 Polo (130k miles). After Googling and looking on Forums I decided to replace the drivers door locking mechanism. The cause was a worn micro switch in the mechanism (I confirmed this by dissecting the mechanism after I replaced it with a new one). The "responding twice" noise I think is normal, I get that.
    I discovered that the price difference between a new mechanism from VW (£130) and a supplier on Ebay (£25). was staggering! The Ebay unit I got is still working fine after a year - time will tell.
    There's loads about how to remove the mechanism on YouTube. If I did it, anyone can.
    Well the door is not working with the remote at all or with the internal switch now. Weirdly occasionally it sets the alarm off for a second now?

I'd appreciate any links to the videos or parts. Thanks for the response

0 0 0