Notices

User Tag List

Thread: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice?

1. B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all,

Already posted in the newbee section, but thought i might get more traction here, Pun intended!

I've been perusing the classifieds for several weeks now in search of a practical car, suitable for snowy winters (I'm based on the continent!) and I've set my mined on a 2015+ Passat B8 as the most sensible (wallet friendly) option!

I know VWs reasonably well and I know the B8 from new, However I was hoping you guys & gals would enjoy sharing your experience of ownership and issues to be aware of now these cars are nearing the end of production?

Specifically I'm arranging a viewing this weekend of a nice looking 4Motion 2.0 TDi 190hp DSG Estate from July 2016

I'm not familiar with what to look for and test on such a car with 113,ooo miles on the clock?

Any advice greatly appreciated and should all turn out well I look forward to becoming a regular.

Steve

0 0 0

2. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Get the biTDI .

0 0 0

3. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Get the biTDI .
    Thanks, however the biTDI is not currently available to me so it's a choice between this 190hp 4 Motion or a 150hp 2 wheel drive dsg.

Other than the obvious power advantage is there another reason to avoid the 190hp DSG? This is not intended to be a "quick" car for me, looking for a sensible daily plus Autobahn cruiser, as I will probably cover 15ish thousand miles in the coming year!

0 0 0

4. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Depends if the DSG is the dry or the wet type . Crash bash is your man for that one .

The front wheel drive 150 remapped will be more drivable and better on fuel than the 190 4Motion .

0 0 0

5. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, the moistness of the transmission was and still is my first concern, dealer add states its a 6 speed from July 2016 (build date, not reg date) dose that help? I've been trying to find a way of confirming wet/dry without crawling underneath!?!

Remapping will be out of the question as its offered with 2 years warranty and regardless it needs to pass a German Tüv! :/

0 0 0

6. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    You’ll be relying on responses from mainland Europe as the 4Motion hasn’t been sold in the UK unless it’s the Alltrack or BiTDi (they have just introduced one now though)

I’d love a 4Motion!
    2015 Passat B8 2.0TDi 150 GT Estate in Deep Black
    2005 A2 1.4TDi 75 SE in Silver

0 0 0

7. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Frank, I didn't realise that!

What about the motor and transmission, it's a wet clutch type as the fluid has been serviced twice, but only with the main dealer so looks like 20k+ intervals.

Seller says it doesn't need a new belt until 210k?! so I will need to factor that into the cost probably 12-18months time but I'm a bit nervous about waiting to long for that!

I've made another appointment for Monday when I have more time as we couldn't test drive today.

0 0 0

8. Re: B8 2.0 Tdi 4Motion Buying advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I think the cam belt is 100k or 120k miles (160k or 190k km) or 5 years, most people will hit this on time - mine is due next year when it gets serviced at about 67k miles (circa 105k km) - having just spent £818 on a major service and the third change of the cam belt and water pump on my A2 hopefully that will be it for a while!

It will definitely be wet clutch (dry clutch is on cars under 250nm of torque) and in the UK fluid changes are every 40k miles (64k km) I think, if it’s been done every 20k km I wouldn’t worry about it!
    2015 Passat B8 2.0TDi 150 GT Estate in Deep Black
    2005 A2 1.4TDi 75 SE in Silver

0 0 0