Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to remove cowling around steering wheel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi, on my Audi 3.0L QSE TDI I want to be able to remove the top and bottom cowlings from around the steering wheel? Do I have to remove the steering wheel and Airbag to do this?
    The reason is I'm having problems with my wash wipe function not working or working intermittently, I find if I thump the steering column on the side I can restore the wiper/wash function? To me that suggests there might be a loose connection inside somewhere? I want to be able to examine the plug in wiper storks for loose or possible corroded connections which might be causing this problem? I can't see how this cowling is attached?
    Audi A4 3.0TDI Q SE Lava Grey + B&O, Audi Drive Select, Sports Seats, Sun Roof, DVD Sat Nav Plus, Blue Tooth Phone Prep, Audi Hill Assist, Rear Parking Aid, Electric Seats, Light Pack, Audi Audio Interface, MMI etc... and 4 Halfords Bulbs lol....

0 0 0

2. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Simple answer is yes. Disconnect battery, remove airbag, then steering wheel, only then do you have access to the cowlings and stalks.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
    Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2009

0 0 0

3. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi I've had a look at this task, I found a YouTube Video on removing the Airbag and the Steering wheel, but I'm still unsure how I remove the top and bottom cowlings as I can't see any screws or screw holes any where? The only videos I've found was on the B7 models they had screws holes underneath, on the B8 model there ain't any?
    Audi A4 3.0TDI Q SE Lava Grey + B&O, Audi Drive Select, Sports Seats, Sun Roof, DVD Sat Nav Plus, Blue Tooth Phone Prep, Audi Hill Assist, Rear Parking Aid, Electric Seats, Light Pack, Audi Audio Interface, MMI etc... and 4 Halfords Bulbs lol....

0 0 0

4. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    3 screws underneath and 2 you access when steering wheel removed

0 0 0

5. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I can't see any screws underneath? only a largish hole with what looks like a Yellow Bung in it? Nothing to me that look like screws? OK so there might be more visible once I remove the steering wheel? But I need to acquired a special M12 spline bit? Could you tell me what tool I need to look for to remove the steering wheel centre bolt please? Thanks.

0 0 0

6. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My Avant had the torx bit in the tool kit

0 0 0

7. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    oh I never thought to check that :-( I have ordered a set of them now anyway?
    Just a thought if I disconnect the battery first as your suppose to do so the Airbag doesn't deploy, how do you release the steering lock? surely that requires the power to be on to unlock the steering lock? Do I disconnect the battery after I unlock the steering lock, but once the battery is off and disconnected what stops the steering lock locking again when I'm turning the steering wheel to get to the Airbag screws? Just a thought?

0 0 0

8. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    You won't need to touch the steering lock.

0 0 0

9. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I was thinking it might re-engage when I turn the steering wheel, you have to turn the steering wheel to be able to undo the airbag screws from the back, I've seen people disconnect the battery while the ignition was still on! is that safe to do? and you leave the key in the holder? Is that correct, got my M12 bit now so can proceed :-)

0 0 0

10. Re: How to remove cowling around steering wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    74238119_10162662721315720_5486191271707934720_n.jpgOn removing the Air Bag, this was how I found my steering wheel positioned? it was way off the factory mark? If i aligned to that factory mark the steering wheel would of been at 45 degrees off the left, so I just put it back on how it was found? Very odd?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast