1. strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    my wife has a 2013 2.0 tdi manual and one day thr clutch pedal went to the floor one mornin and stayed there.
    a mobile mechanic replaced thr master cylinder and all was well for as couple of days and it went to the floor again. We called him back and he said he discovered he had not removed a seal from the old one ( he didnt specify what seal) a few days later it went again, i bled it myself and pulled lots of muck and air out. it lasted 6 weeks and went again. My wife took it to a garage this time and they put another master cylinder on, it lasted a couple of days, its almost back to that now. so my question is.. what seal might he have forgotton about and whats the odds he buggered it up. its obvious its not the master cylinder, but a seal - so what seals are there in the system, or maybe a perished air pipe thats letting air in, so far as i can tell there are no leaks or puddles of fluid that i can find.. Ideas please.

0 0 0

2. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This is nearly always the concentric release bearing and that is inside the bellhousing meaning box out and may as well do the clutch/dmf whilst you are in there so most people do the master cylinder first in vain hope...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    This is nearly always the concentric release bearing and that is inside the bellhousing meaning box out and may as well do the clutch/dmf whilst you are in there so most people do the master cylinder first in vain hope...

i hear you but makes no sense, can you explain why a bearing would cause air to get in ? and why you feel its the likely answer above all other possibilities ? i dont disbeleive you, just need more details why you think that.

there are no leaks anywhere, not fluid anywhere, a leaking slave cylinder would trash the clutch and give the game way, but this has been going on since june - almost 5 months now, the clutch when bled is perfect and gives no indication of anything wrong - strange

0 0 0

4. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The concentric release bearing is also the slave cylinder, it is a very common failure

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    OK thank you, what is the life of a clutch on a passat? I accept it's justifiable to change everything while your in there but assuming the clutch is fine upon opening it up and the knowledge we need to upgrade to a euro6 car very soon anyway I'm looking at damage limitation here but don't want to sell a pup to some poor sod 12 months down the line.
    And showing my lack of knowledge here, I see a pipe connection on the picture you have shown me, is that inside the bell housing or external?

0 0 0

6. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The pipe is the receiver for a plastic push on connector which is also the bleed valve holder and then a metal pipe with a rubber seal pushes into the connector, only a small part of the pipe in the picture protrudes out of the box, the rest is buried inside. In most cases the clutch never wears out, it is the dual mass flywheel failing and rattling that is the usual reason for changing the clutch. A Sachs or LUK full kit of DMF, clutch set and bearing will typically cost around £900 fitted by an independent.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    thank you again, i have no noises or rattling, i know what you mean as i have that currently on my z4 and a previous passat i owned, is there any possibility the plastic push on connector with bleed valve holder could be leaking ?
    aside from it being a much cheaper and easier option/possibility i will share with you an event which haunts me. I once owned a lexus soarer which developed a squeal in southern france which only appeared with the aircon on, as there was a heatwave of 40c i was very reluctant to turn it off as you can imagine, but i felt i needed to protect the car further damage. back home i had it diagnosed and it was declared the compressor was dying, however it used old style gas and so had to be converted at a cost of over 1000 pounds back in 1990, when i got it back it still squealed........... turned out it was a 4 quid idler bearing.
    so forgive me here . is there a diagram of this pipe somewhere ?

0 0 0

8. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If the connector leaks, you lose fluid and get a puddle. I don’t have a picture to hand.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    its ok, thanks anyway, i found it - trying that - then next stop bellhousing out, just damage limitation now

0 0 0

10. Re: strange clutch problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Had a similar problem a few years ago. On stopping at a red light the pedal went to the floor and stayed there so I managed to reach down and pull it back up but no use. Turned out that the small pipe that ran along the bulkhead had burst and when the pedal went to the floor the small ball at the end of the pushrod snapped off so a new slave cylinder was also required.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast