Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    A4 1.8t 150bhp sport model

For the last few years I've had to change the cv joint twice on the passenger side, and then the actual axel bar that joins the cv joint to it snapped in two by the cv joint split pin.

I order a replacement driveshaft left side passenger from euro car parts which states its 610mm in length fitted it and pop the cv joint comes away, I have a look under the car and it's to short and the cv joint does not go all the way in the hub so as soon as you tighten the main nut it pulls the driveshaft apart.

I've hunted the Web only to find that every driveshaft listed is 610mm in length I've even spoke to audi as well as other company's and they are saying it sounds a bit odd.

Every company in the UK lists the left side as 610mm and in Germany they list the left side as 630mm, both passenger side I've measured my old one and its 630mm

Any one ever heard or had this problem and can point me in the right direction on what to do as I can't rebuild my oem when.

Thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Looking at LH shafts from my usual supplier, the length varies according to the year, and whether manual or automatic, as well as according to which side.

Cardan AUDI A4 Avant SĂ©rie 1 Phase 2 (8D5) 1.8 i Turbo 20V 150 cv - Oscaro.com
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

3. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine is 1999

But this is the problem I've fitted the 610mm as stated on car factors sites yet its to short for passenger side UK. It will ether pull out the cup from front diff resulting in damaging the diff oil seal which I had to replace or it pulls away from the cv joint and shaft

With my driveshaft off the car the broken one which isnt increased apart so decreased it comes up as 630mm yet the whole Web states 610mm so I'm stuck with my car off the road due to which driveshaft to try next. And becoming a real headache

0 0 0

4. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Presumably you have a manual gearbox.

My supplier lists the 630 mm shaft for the RHS.

Maybe there is something wrong with the mounting of your engine/gearbox, with your suspension, or the front end was damaged when you bought the car.

This could also be why you have had to change the CV joint twice and also found the shaft broken.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 0 0

5. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Rhs side as in drivers which is what I'm getting to so it must be 610mm

I've had the car 2 years and it's only started popping driveshafts in the last year since I've changed the leg upright and lower wishbones but surely that would not cause it as the leg upright has the same part code as the old one and the lower arms are the same lengths for both sides.

All mounts are fine also manual box yes.

0 0 0

6. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I don't have any ideas except that there is something wrong with the suspension parts you changed, or how they were fitted, as that seems to be when your problem started.

Maybe get the wheel geometry checked, aligned, measured and compared with the specs.

0 0 0

7. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Do the suspension parts you fitted check out as correct here? http://www.oemepc.com/audi/parts_lst/markt/RDW/modell/A4/year/1999/hg/4/catalog/au/drive_standart/223/lang/e

As 1999 was spec change year, you can also check against your VIN by clicking on the red box "Audi catalogue" and enter your vin code.

Actually, it doesn't work for my VIN code, I think because it's too early for the programme. Most other stuff on VAG sites has the same result.
    Last edited by FrenchAudi; 27-10-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Add info'

0 0 0

8. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Didn't work for me ether with vin number.

I'm wondering if the leg upright is the issue as it's from a 1998model and that they have the hubs and ball joint positions sitting further out.

Unfortunately I can't actually get out to the car for a few weeks due to recovery from hospital so doing as much research and part buying ready for when I am able.

Was wondering if a 1999 1.8 upright be the same as the 1.8t upright from 1999 but nothing online for sizes

What I mean is it possible for the upright where the driveshaft cv joint slides into sit to far out causing the driveshaft to constantly break apart

0 0 0

9. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Also looking online using my model and year I can't find nothing and all parts catalogue don't list the driveshaft for engine code apu for 1999?

I then googled audi driveshaft apu. Which brought up driveshaft for my car as 617mm not 610mm which I've fitted?

0 0 0

10. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    See pic attached