1. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Also just popped to the shed to check the oem upright that broke I just replaced it with another one with the same code highlighted if that means anything

I do need to check the code on the back off the replacement upright as I only compare the main code but that would not matter surely.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    The bolt holds the outer CV joint to the hub. The outer CV joint is driven onto the main driveshaft until the circlip engages. It is pressed off by screwing a tool (or an old hub bolt) into the splined end of the CV joint.

EDIT: This was posted in response to your post No. 20

EDIT 2: Correct description of the method of putting CV joint on to shaft.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

3. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    okay so it's possible it could off been over tightened causing it to pop off. What is the right tightening spec for the bolt please both sides.

another question relates to which drive shaft and codes from above as I'm getting confused.

Above says code 8d0 407 271 DL is left passenger which is the one I've ordered.

Yet the one removed is 8d0 407 271 AQ right drivers according to above which was on my left passenger side

So have I ordered the right part 8d0 407 271 DL and the driveshaft 8d0 407 271 AQ I removed from left passenger side was wrong

Very confusing and if above is true I need to recheck code on right drivers side

0 0 0

4. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Are these correct in pictures engine is the apu 1.8t 150bhp model

Which would mean I've been correct the whole time needing the 630mm one and would explain all the problems I've been having

Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The lower control arm is bolted in to correct hole isn't it?
    The subframe has two different mounting points

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    99 a4 b5 1.8tqs saloon
    99 a4 b5 2.5tdi avant
    90 eunos roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olds_kool View Post
    The lower control arm is bolted in to correct hole isn't it?
    The subframe has two different mounting points

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2 mounting points? I would need to check again but from memory it's the one nearest to the hub

0 0 0

7. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mospin1 View Post
    okay so it's possible it could off been over tightened causing it to pop off. What is the right tightening spec for the bolt please both sides.

another question relates to which drive shaft and codes from above as I'm getting confused.

Above says code 8d0 407 271 DL is left passenger which is the one I've ordered.

Yet the one removed is 8d0 407 271 AQ right drivers according to above which was on my left passenger side

So have I ordered the right part 8d0 407 271 DL and the driveshaft 8d0 407 271 AQ I removed from left passenger side was wrong

Very confusing and if above is true I need to recheck code on right drivers side

The hub bolt has nothing to do with your shaft breaking, but FYI, the correct tightening spec is:- M14 bolt: 115 Nm (85 lb-ft) + 1/2 turn. M16 bolt: 190Nm (140 lb-ft) + 1/2 turn.

I've never managed a 1/2 turn, even with my longest 3/4" drive T-bar and a 3 ft cheater pipe. I've managed about 1/4 turn only, but I've not had a wheel come off.

Your shaft broke inside the outer CV joint, and if the shaft had been seated correctly, with the circlip engaged, the broken piece have been trapped inside the CV joint, and would not have come out.

If the shaft you fitted was too short, EDIT: or the suspension parts are incorrectly or wrongly mounted, it is very likely it was partly pulled out of the outer CV joint, disengaging the circlip, as you tightened the flange bolts when assembling it.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

8. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Okay update one problem located lower arm was indeed mounted incorrectly causing it all to sit forward and damaging the driveshaft and drop links

Sneaky how there's 2 locating holes but thanks for pointing it out and finding that issue.

Unfortunately I can't confirm if it's fixed the car yet as I'm still awaiting parts but hopefully it will

0 1 0

9. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes I have seen that before, I have never been able to work out what the other holes are for. I remember about 20 years ago when we were just staring to see a lot of 8D’s come out of warranty and one of my techs did that, he is buried out the back with the others...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Front driveshaft issue, confusing help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Lol easy mistake to make I guess when your an learner to the trade my excuse is in and out off hospital and trying to keep doing what I enjoy can make it a challenge at times tho haha. Still will get it fixed ASAP and back on the road.

Just need to sort out this driveshaft issue as I'm worrying its the wrong one again see above post for details.

For the UK spec is the passenger n/s, 610mm or 630mm as I've ordered the oem one 610. And need to confirm this as the one I've removed is 8D0 407 271 AQ yet above says 8D0 407 271 DL it's very confusing

I've been going by the German site but they drive on other side off the road so those pics I put up from there site I'm guessing are pointless to UK spec

0 0 0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast