Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi All,

My car is in for a service and its been highlighted the inner side walls to all 4 tyres are showing cracks (they kindly sent over a video too)

This is the 2nd time I have had Dunlop Sport Maxx GT fitted (just been maintaining what the car came with) however this is the 2nd time the cracks have appeared and the tread depth across each is an even 4mm which is annoying (tread was healthy last time too), I'm being told this is down to the tyres being ran under inflated - never had anything pop up from the tyre pressure sensors and the pressures checked out as adequate by the technician today - tyres never look under inflated/low either

So the question is what would anyone recommend trying out as an alternative to the Dunlop? the others around the same price bracket are Continental Sport Contact 5P or Pirelli P Zero NCS and any recommendations on most competitive place to get them changed (last time I managed to get all 4 changed for £832 but this time its totalling £1440 for the same spec - I am awaiting a call back from the dealer to see if they can do better on price in the morning)

any advice welcomed,
    Audi A7 (2012), Black Edition 245 PS Tiptronic, Phantom Black

0 0 0

2. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Old hat designs the Sport Maxx GT and Contact Sport 5P , both 10 years old .

0 0 0

3. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Cracks because they are underinflated! I am not sure that is correct. If the tyres are underinflated, do you have worn tread on the outside and plenty of tread in the middle. I would think you have a claim for poor tyre quality. Check the sidewalls and look at the date of manufacture. 3215 means manufactured in week 32 2015. Tyres should last for 7 years. I would also speak to the previous tyre supplier and see whether you can get a subsidy given the amount of tread left.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

4. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    There are lots of forum posts about
    Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's having cracking sidewalls... I will be avoiding them come time to change.

DUNLOP MAXX GT Tyres - splitting - Audi A7 Club - Audi Owners Club (UK)
    2nd time a Dunlop Sportmaxx has split on me
    https://www.briskoda.net/forums/top...-trouble-with-dunlop-sport-maxx-rts-cracking/
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-a7-tyres-thread.398673/

A7 55 TFSI S-Line 2018

0 0 0

5. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for the various links Moogie, I cant believe this has been an issue for such a long time on the a7 and not more widely experienced by owners on this forum, last time I had this issue was in 2017 and at the time accepted the fact it was major wear and tear to what was my first premium car and was lucky my tyre insurance covered the costs of 3 of the 4 tyres.

However this time and all this other user experience cleary shows its an issue with the product and I wont be going back to Dunlop at all - As the local dealer have already set their argument on under inflation I don't think I will be getting very far with them on claim or complaints. from reading other experiences others have sent tyres back to Dunlop for inspection - I am yet to decide what to do (may keep them in the garage whilst I try and pursue a claim

shelling out so much on tyres with healthy tread is really frustrating - I don't think I will be getting a car with 21" alloys again - what is the recommended tyre for the latest generation of A7 on 21's?
    Audi A7 (2012), Black Edition 245 PS Tiptronic, Phantom Black

0 0 0

6. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    My 2018 A7 55TFSI has 21" wheels and came with Bridgestone Turanza's, have done 12k miles and have been fine to date.
    A7 55 TFSI S-Line 2018

0 0 0

7. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    My 2018 A7 55TFSI has 21" wheels and came with Bridgestone Turanza's, have done 12k miles and have been fine to date.
    How are you finding the ride on the 21s? My car is arriving soon and has them and I am slightly concerned the ride is going to be hard. I will have air suspension too which hopefully will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

8. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    My new S7 sits on 255/35/R21 Y98 Pirelli P-Zero’s if that helps???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have Pirelli P zeros fitted to my 20 inch wheels. 2019 50 tdi remapped to S7 specs. Recently had an oil service only to be told all 4 tyres need replaced after just 12000 miles. After 4 days of research and realising that summer tyres in this country , at least for the next few months, are downright dangerous, I have ordered Michelin Pilot Alpin 5s. All out winter tyres with a noise rating of 69db, which is pretty good. I actually used Nokian winter tyres on an Allroad all year round with no downsides as far as I could tell, so hoping for the best with the Alpins.

0 0 0

10. Re: 21” Tyre Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had similar problems with Dunlop Sport Maxx on my previous XKR they are notorious for sidewall splits I tried a few different types over the years but really liked Falken FK510's they lasted well, had good grip in the wet and were quiet, they don't have the premium brand name but for the money they were excellent.

0 0 0