1. Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, long time listener first time caller.

I have a 2012 Passat with brand new pads and good rotors, and perfect amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Something is terribly wrong with the braking system.

When pressing the brake pedal 1 time brakes feel OK, then you let go and press down for a second time and can clearly feel the pedal getting harder and car brakes less, then you press them a third time and by now you are pressing into a rock hard none moving pedal and car barely coming to a stop.

This behavior is while driving, but the pedal behaves the same why while stopped. The pedal feels EXACTLY the same as when pressing the pedal multiple times on a car that is off and the more you press the harder the pedal gets, but imagine this while driving, and the more you pressed them the less the car can brake.

I can press the brakes with the car off until they get hard and it holds pressure just fine until I turn the ignition key at which point pressure is released and pedal gets pressed. This I believe is normal behavior.

0 0 0

2. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    It sounds like you have a restriction in the vacuum pipe going to the brake servo.

The fact that it works ok for first application of the brake shows there is a vacuum available, but not able to maintain the vacuum.

Check the vacuum pipe from the servo backwards, it might just have a kink in the pipe.

You don't say what engine, there is a difference between how the vacuum is derived between diesel & petrol models.

An engine code would help in diagnosis.

0 0 0

3. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Petrol or Fuel of the Devil?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This a petrol 2.5L

codes are p0442 p0106 p0441 p0343 p0341 p2188 which I think are set off because of a fuel purge valve.

0 0 0

5. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We don't get that model here, could you Private Message me the cars VIN? I probaly won't be able to make good use of the info until Monday by the time you reply due to our time differences.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I checked the check valve. Was able to blow into it but can't suck any air from it, which from what I've seen is expected behavior. I also cleared the codes a few days ago and only 2 have returned P0442 and P0106

No kinks on the line or anything like that. No work has been done on the car for anything to have changed. This started happening from out of nowhere. I have ordered a Purge valve to replace this week when it arrives reasons being because of the fault code and car barely starts after refilling with petrol.

If it helps a little history on the car. Brakes have never felt right on this car. You come up a stop pressing on the brakes and the car will be slowing down just fine then out of nowhere as you approach 5kph or so the car comes to a dead stop as if you decided to floor the brake pedal and everybody jerks in the car. Pedal also felt weird hard to explain but as if it dropped a little then pinched. This is previous behavior.

0 0 0

7. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need to check the operation of the vacuum pump with a vacuum gauge and the vacuum integrity of the servo and feed hose with a hand operated vacuum pump, AKA a Mityvac.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any other symptoms the vacuum pump on these vehicles would have? Asking because I don't have a mityvac

0 0 0

9. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No, it is just used to provide a vacuum for the brake servo.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Brakes Pedal Hard as Rock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: Issue Fixed

Symptoms were that I had good breaks for the first pedal press then after that stiff as hell until completely stiff after 3 presses. After some driving you could gain another good brake press which clearly indicated that pressure or vacuum would build up but then would all get lost in one brake press and would take a little bit to build back up again.

The obvious issue was that I inspected visually and didn't see anything wrong with the vacuum hose which had a crack on the under side which visually I couldn't see so I kept ignoring it. This goes to say to not just visually inspect. Other mistake I did was I never looked at it with the car on to hear any whistle which was present when I turned the car on. I ran my hand all around the hose and found the leak.

Photos on these links

20191027-123701 — imgbb.com
    20191027-123042 — imgbb.com
    20191027-123033 — imgbb.com

Hope this helps others

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast