Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine?

1. Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I made a couple of recordings (because of the upload attachment size) of a screechy, rattly noise that our BKD engine makes at around 2000RPM. It sounds a bit like dragging a sheet of corrugated roof along under the car .

The "low quality" one puts it in the context of the car idling, initially accelerating without the noise, then it coming in at ~2000RPM, while the "high quality" one perhaps gives a better sense of what the noise is. The noise disappears if the clutch is dipped or accelerator lifted, but seems to be present in all gears at 2000RPM engine speed (but harder to hear in higher gears).

The recordings are stereo. Left channel is closer to gearbox, and you'll hear a whine / throb from there that we're largely ignoring due to age of car. Right channel is closer to turbo (with boost leak noises ). It seems more likely to be coming from the turbo side, but before I start taking turbo out would be interested in other theories of source. Would dipping the clutch stop the noise if it was in turbo, perhaps because VNT vanes shift around? For example, I'd wondered if the flap in the EGR cooler diverter might be rattling, but a microphone near there doesn't pick anything up.

BKD Noise High Quality.zip
    BKD Noise Low Quality.zip

0 0 0

2. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    its your DMF breaking up
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 1 0

3. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Thanks. Sounds economically terminal on a 53 plate vehicle with ~165k miles on it if done at a garage .

Self-repair would be one of these after removing the gearbox would it: OnlineCarParts: Flywheel 03G105266AF

V-A

0 0 0

4. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    For the age of the car i would run it till it goes then scrap it.

0 1 0

5. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arman123 View Post
    For the age of the car i would run it till it goes then scrap it.
    Sounds like a fair plan, except for the horrible noise it makes while leaving / arriving house .

Car is mainly used on a lively ~30 mile drive to work on motorway class roads. Do they fail catastrophically, or just degrade? Would next likely stage of failure be a bad thing to happen at 70MPH in outside lane?

0 0 0

6. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Darn, just seen info on a DMF VOSA recall R/2005/091 that I thought we might sneak it in under (14-years later !), but VIN is too early .

I'm steering towards finding a weekend to work on it in the next couple of months in the garage / workshop. Stories suggest it's a bit hard work, but doable with planning on gearbox lifts, engine braces, etc. As I write that I think might leave it to after MOT in Dec, and do it if it passes on other things (which I would expect it to - overall it is pretty well maintained)...

0 0 0

7. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    when it goes it will take out gearbox cause damage to the engine and starter basically it would not be worth fixing. A Friend of mine had his go at 70mph vw touran 1.9tdi 04 plate and it cracked the gearbox housing took out the starter and something when on the steering rack as well if you going to fix it it would need a dmf plus full clutch kit too sachs and luk are good

0 1 0

8. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Although I usually like to make the best of these opportunities I think I'd skip the clutch given age and only doing ~5k miles per year. Might even chance a DMF from a reputable looking breaker...

There's no wear surface between DMF and clutch that will be mismatched is there?

0 0 0

9. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    thats up to you i would inspect the clutch when you take it out thing is if you dont replace it and its starts slipping or goes then its back in there again

0 1 0

10. Re: Can anyone identify this noise on BKD engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Yep, I agree with all you say. Many thanks for help on the initial diagnosis and thoughts on ways forwards .

0 0 0