2. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I did a 4.25 hour journey today using Google Maps over wireless CarPlay for navigation. Phone (iPhone 8 Plus) started at 100% battery, showing 68% at the end of the journey, so about 7% per hour. I don't think that's too bad.

Sadly 'too bad' is all that can be said for the hands-free phone - I can hear the other end, but virtually all they hear from me if I'm on the move is crackling. This is regardless of whether it's using Bluetooth or CarPlay. Phone worked fine in my previous car (B8 Passat) and is fine in my wife's car. Pretty sure it's to do with the microphone picking up interference since the 'Speak to create a text message' thing can't hear me when I'm under way unless I REALLY shout at it - it works fine when stationary. I'll have to book it in to be looked at.

Start/stop continues to behave erractically. It didn't work once on my 4.25 hour journey this morning (all in daylight, no use of heated seats or heated rear window) even driving in stop-start traffic in Bristol at the end of the trip. Got back into the cold car this evening, in the dark, and at the first set of lights whilst still cold it stopped and continue to work properly for the rest of my 30 minute journey, except once when it didn't stop and just for a change also didn't display the (A) with a line through it (or without) on the dash.

0 0 0

3. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    ... and on my return 4 hour journey last night I used CarPlay wired (needed charge), in the last 40 mins Apple CarPlay disconnected and reconnected at least 6 times, each time losing Google Maps' destination which makes me think it's more likely to be the 'phone doing something than the car.

Oh, and start/stop never worked once on the entire journey.

0 0 0

4. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is great feedback. I will write you a proper reply soon. Thanks again

0 0 0

5. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I have S/S on my B7 and while it works 'most' of the time, the times it does not I assume it knows more about the cars demands than me. It can be the smallest of things, cold(er) weather, run time, low(ish) battery, heating settings, lights on/off etc.

I leave it switched on and just accept what it does.

I am somewhat glade I don't have CP just BT.
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

0 0 0

6. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UMEL View Post
    I have S/S on my B7 and while it works 'most' of the time, the times it does not I assume it knows more about the cars demands than me. It can be the smallest of things, cold(er) weather, run time, low(ish) battery, heating settings, lights on/off etc.

I leave it switched on and just accept what it does.
    I had a B7 and a B8, the S/S worked almost all the time. The B8.5 is completely different in that it hardly ever works, even after a long daylight journey with no extra battery loads when the battery must be fully charged.

I am somewhat glade I don't have CP just BT.
    Out of curiosity why? (a) You don't have to use it, (b) Google Maps or Waze or [insert other traffic-aware app here] are massively better than the built-in SatNav at picking routes based on traffic and accuracy of ETA. The built-in SatNav in both my B7 and B8 was hopeless at ETA - it seemed to think you could average the speed limit on every type of road, even narrow winding single-lane derestricted B roads over mountains. I never use the built-in Nav now. It takes while to get used to sitting in queue and not seeing the ETA gradually ticking forward (because it knows about the traffic you are in and has already based the ETA on that info), but that's always a pleasant surprise.

0 0 0

7. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks again for your detailed reply

Yes I would say 7% an hour pretty good. Were you streaming audio from the phone as well as using the maps at he same time or listening to the radio instead ?

Sorry to hear of you poor call quality. You say your phone is fine in old car and wife's car, how about wife's phone in your car ? ie is it a faulty microphone in your new car ?

Ref the six times disconnection. Do you mean it was 100% OK on wireless but when when using wired car play you had to disconnect and reconnect as it had 'disconnected' ? Was the USB port you used the car play one ? perhaps try a charge only USB port as the wired/wireless carplay connections might be fighting each other ? Or disconnect "forget" the wireless carplay connection on your phone as you said wired was OK on the way to the airport a month or so ago ?

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback

Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    I had a B7 and a B8, the S/S worked almost all the time. The B8.5 is completely different in that it hardly ever works, even after a long daylight journey with no extra battery loads when the battery must be fully charged.

Out of curiosity why? (a) You don't have to use it, (b) Google Maps or Waze or [insert other traffic-aware app here] are massively better than the built-in SatNav at picking routes based on traffic and accuracy of ETA. The built-in SatNav in both my B7 and B8 was hopeless at ETA - it seemed to think you could average the speed limit on every type of road, even narrow winding single-lane derestricted B roads over mountains. I never use the built-in Nav now. It takes while to get used to sitting in queue and not seeing the ETA gradually ticking forward (because it knows about the traffic you are in and has already based the ETA on that info), but that's always a pleasant surprise.
    Must be a problem then with the system.

In 3 years I have been using the 510 (V13) I have only had one issue which was a post code. It would not add a letter...IIRC it was a Z. But then again I am in a built up area.
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

0 0 0

9. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minieggs View Post
    Were you streaming audio from the phone as well as using the maps at he same time or listening to the radio instead ?
    I was streaming audio some of the time (about 25% maybe).

Sorry to hear of you poor call quality. You say your phone is fine in old car and wife's car, how about wife's phone in your car ? ie is it a faulty microphone in your new car ?
    On a sample of 2 tests wife's phone in my car not too bad (a lot of background roar but I could hear her). However my 'phone is also fine whilst stationary, I don't think a 'phone problem would be speed related - I think it's probably the microphone. My 'phone is due for replacement shortly so I'll hold fire and see how it behaves after that.

Ref the six times disconnection. Do you mean it was 100% OK on wireless but when when using wired car play you had to disconnect and reconnect as it had 'disconnected'?
    Yes it was 100% OK on wireless. When wired it briefly disconnected and then reconnect itself automatically (I noticed the screen change, which was it reconnecting). Each time it happened Google Maps 'forgot' that it was navigating to a destination, had to put in the destination again. I have a possible theory (given that this only started happening towards the end of the journey it may have coincided with the 'phone becoming fully charged) - maybe if the charging strategy in the 'phone is such that when it's fully charged it switches in & out of charging mode repeatedly then the wired Carplay connection gets dropped & re-established every time it stops charging. Just a thought. My wife had the same issue with her 'phone. It never happened in the previous car with either 'phone.

Was the USB port you used the car play one?
    The one in front/left of the gear lever which I guess is the CarPlay one. I don't know whether the one in the storage box under the armreset is CarPlay enabled (it was in the B8, but that was the only USB port then).

0 0 0

10. Re: B9 wirless Apple Carplay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post

Yes it was 100% OK on wireless. When wired it briefly disconnected and then reconnect itself automatically (I noticed the screen change, which was it reconnecting). Each time it happened Google Maps 'forgot' that it was navigating to a destination, had to put in the destination again. I have a possible theory (given that this only started happening towards the end of the journey it may have coincided with the 'phone becoming fully charged) - maybe if the charging strategy in the 'phone is such that when it's fully charged it switches in & out of charging mode repeatedly then the wired Carplay connection gets dropped & re-established every time it stops charging. Just a thought. My wife had the same issue with her 'phone. It never happened in the previous car with either 'phone.

The one in front/left of the gear lever which I guess is the CarPlay one. I don't know whether the one in the storage box under the armreset is CarPlay enabled (it was in the B8, but that was the only USB port then).
    Thanks again for the feedback.

The lightening port on the phone can get clogged with crud quite easily so perhaps it is only 'just connected' on the odd occasion I have a carplay equipped car on my old phone the slightest cable movement would disconnect it

When it was plugged in did it get excessively warm ?

Perhaps it will perform better if using wireless carplay and a USB in the 12v socket adaptor/or other non carplay USB port in the car or if/when you get your wireless charger off amazon

Cheers

0 0 0

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast