1. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thank you Crasher for the useful information.

I've managed to get hold of the parts and have constructed the repair section as per TSB2018652.

If that doesn't resolve the issue I shall do as you advised and replace the whole lot between the ECU and Throttle body.

To save me some time if I have to depin the ecu connector do you know how I can get hold of the wiring diagram for my variant (BAG Engine Code) of vehicle?

Haynes manual is not that great and the only official workshop manual from VW that I can find is for BHY engine variant which is different to BAG.

If not guess I will going through about 100 connections or whatever it might be but I know its a LOT!

0 0 0

2. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The BKG isn't on https://erwin.volkswagen.de and at the moment I am having trouble with my ELSA where VW is concerned as it is all in German which I can just about cope with. If a copy in German will help, PM me your email.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    No luck with the repair wire.... looks like i will be depinning at the ecu and replacing the wire from there to the throttle body....

If wiring isn't at fault perhaps it's an ECU issue?

OR

Bad Ground? / Bad Relay?

0 0 0

4. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    ECU failure happens but is very rare
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    If I was to get the ECU examined / tested / replaced....would you be able to recommend a reputable company?

I did look at how to remove the ECU and have seen a few videos but can't work out how to remove the bulkhead that will give me the access I need to get to the ecu....

0 0 0

6. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    There is a 10mm nut each side and the bulkhead lifts out but you don't need to remove it to get the ECU out. It may have an ECU cage which will really annoy you! I hate ECU testing companies, I don't trust any of them, not even Bosch themselves in Germany who sent me back a TTRS ECU I sent for testing saying there was nothing wrong with it when I knew full well there was as there was not sensor earth, then when I sent it back again a year later they said "ohh, it's faulty and we can't fix it but we can sell you a new one"...... for more than one costs from Audi UK"!!!!!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    OH....it might be the end of the road then...shame as the car has served me well....

I will try and get the ecu out tomorrow.....it does like very tight to remove between the scuttle and bulkhead though.

If I can get it out will check connectors and pins in the housings....spray with contact cleaner....

Would you advise opening up the ecu and checking the board?

0 0 0

8. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The ECU’s are evil to open up and you can damage the tracks getting the case apart, personally I won’t go in there, above my pay grade...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    So I went ahead and got to the ECU today to take a look at it.

The area under the scuttle was full of crud and crap....and I could see that the wiring harness to the ecu was sitting in this gunk....under the ecu tray....

Not sure if it has damaged the wiring in any way as I didn't strip the harness (that will be my next move, so I check the integrity of all the wiring).

Checked the ECU connectors and the pins on ECU itself.... there was no signs of water ingress from what I could see, no white powdery deposits or any signs of water (saw a post the other day where

someone had a puddle of water in theirs!)....

Cleaned everything up with a good blast of contact cleaner and let it dry out whilst I tackled cleaning out all the crap.....

A few hours later and I felt I had got it into better condition than it was before but by no means perfect, at least is was dry and most of the mud and crap gone.

Made sure to copper grease up the posts on the wiper mechanism as these were a bugger to get off, broke my cheap tool that I got off amazon in the process of removing these!

Also made sure that I marked up the position of the wiper arms with tape on the windscreen as they are on a tapered splined shaft so just to make life easier.

Just for good measure I held the positive and negative terminals together for a few minutes to completely discharge any remaining current in the circuits to completely reset the ECU as I have read

that this can sometimes cures strange errors (might just be a myth but I thought it wouldn't hurt)....

Obviously before carrying out any work on the car the first thing I did was disconnect battery -VE first then +VE, then opposite way round when reconnecting +VE then -VE).

BUT after all this arduous work.....still no luck....codes still there..... EPC, EML, TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT....

ECU part number is: 03C 906 056 BA, BENZIN MED9.5.10 5697, BOSCH 0 201 S02 070 , 810 BPG MOTRONIC

ECU Wiring Harness: 03C 972 619 M

Not sure where to go next....wiring? ECU?

I have also been reading that damaged wiring around the exhaust manifold can chuck similar codes.....wiring goes brittle due to the heat and creates high resistance (potential for short to ground??)

0 0 0

10. Re: Help with Codes 17580/P1172, 17579/P1171 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I would normally say it would not damage the wiring but I had exactly that on Friday where water had go into the core of the cable and it snapped.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast