1. Steering wheel horn not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, so my steering wheel horn is not working. Alarm horn works. I've checked the fuse, four 646 relays that are under the steering wheel as I didn't know which one was the horn. I tested the relays with a multimeter, I did a resistance test at point 1 and 2, then I sent power to 1 and 2 via wires from a 12V battery and all relays clicked. Final test was resistance between point 3 and 5 while power was being sent to them via a battery to test the resistance between the connection being made when relay is powered and all relays had very little resistance.

Third thing to look at is the horn itself, there are two horns I believe, one operated by steering wheel and the second when the alarm goes off.

The final test is checking whether clock spring is broken. When I turn the steering wheel a few degrees to left or right I do hear a binding noise from the back of the steering wheel. All the buttons on the steering wheel work.

Does anyone know which horn is operated via steering wheel so I can put 12V power to it so I know it's not the horn itself.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering wheel horn not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    UPDATE

so I tested the horns individually and they work. I'm getting -005.4 m Volts on both horn wires with engine running. I've taken it to an independent vw garage and they spent three hours checking relays, fuse, horn and wires to the horn, basically everything I did and said that it would require more time by having to check why there's no power going through the wires. To do this they would have to test the wiring diagram and see where there is a break. It's best to check from the furthest end with one lead and another lead on the end that goes into the horn and check for continuity. Personally with there being four wires in total, the likelihood of them all being broken is small, I reckon a computer or the steering horn itself is buggered.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering wheel horn not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Another Update

So I've received the wiring diagram and the horns receive power from a control module, I've accessed the module but the issue is there are three plugs that attach to the module, I've identified which plug it is but the pins are not numbered so I cant find the pin I'm looking for. It's quite tricky pressing the horn, putting + lead on the pin and ground on the cars body all at the same time. I'm just going to have to try all the pins and see if there are 12 volts coming through, if not them the control module is faulty. I just wonder whether I can bypass the module proving power and put power through the wires directly and see if the horn sounds, if it does then I know the wires are fine and its the module itself that is at fault.

0 0 0