Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi Everyone,
    My Audi has developed a problem with white smoke. It's not noticeable when engine cold/idling, but when it warms up and under acceleration it produces excessive white smoke, not stupid amounts that would blind people behind but enough to notice.

It's not head gasket or anything to do water getting into the cylinders, the coolant level stays the same and the car dos not overheat.

I have also noticed that there is slightly excessive hissing noise when accelerating. I think that there's probably a leak in one of the rubber air intake pipes to do with the turbo.

My question is would that potentially cause the white smoke? Or is my problem more likely to do with injectors, or piston pressure?

thank you

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Usually the hose from the turbo to the pipe or the hose to the anti shudder/EGR valve, both often split but the split can be discrete until under pressure, occasionally the intercooler splits.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Just out of interest, what is your fuel economy like? Assuming you are not driving a Quattro, so you should be getting 650 - 700 miles on a full tank of fuel,

For several years I had smoke issues with the car, and it was either the temperature sensor or the thermostat. I changed both and problem was solved. The car was showing it never got warmer than 70 degrees (apparently) so it then over fuelled the engine, this caused smoke from the exhaust, especially noticatble at night when accelerating, and all I could see was smoke in the rear view mirror when another cars headlights were behing me, this over fuelling dropped my fuel range to around 450 - 500 miles on a tank.

Not sure if you are seeing the same symptoms?

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks, actually the big hose was left unconnected at the top , I suspect on purpose by previous owner. I have reconnected it..... and it made the problem worse... the car now has very little power at low revs, it struggles to get going, have to rev it high than usual to go anywhere... and lots of black smoke now

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the operating temperature seems fine, not had the car long enough to determine if fuel consumption is good or bad...but seems reasonable... after re-connecting the turbo hose the main problem now is luck of power at low revs and lot's of black smoke....what would be the first thing to check? btw the is no evidence of the car being chipped, remapped or anything like that.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    First thing i would do is check all filters when was the car last serviced?

also i would do a full scan using vcds for fault codes

what engine code is it?
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like the EGR valve is stuck open.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahhh... yeah... EGR valve, I did here that could be an issue... do you know if it's a big job?

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi 1.9 TDi diesel - white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Compared to the Passat I have on my lift for Monday morning (2013 2L CR) yours is easy, firstly you have to see if the solenoid valve is opening the EGR valve when it shouldn’t.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0